1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetized Toroid

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1

I needed some help with a problem from the Griffiths Book on EM. It's problem number 6.10 if anyone has the book. Here is the problem and I have attached a crude drawing using MSPaint.

An iron rod of length L and square cross section (side a), is given a uniform longitudinal magnetization M, and then bent around into a circle with a narrow gap (width w). Find the magnetic field at the center of the gap, assuming w << a << L. [Hint: treat it as the superposition of a complete torus plus a square loop with reversed current.]

The field inside a toroid is: [tex]B= \frac{\mu_0 NI}{2\pi s}[/tex]. The hint would lead me to believe that I can take NI -> M. The field at the center of the gap due to a loop of current in the opposite direction would be:[tex]B=-\frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 I}{\pi a} [/tex].

This means the answer would be:
    [tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 I}{\pi a}[/tex].

However I don't see how to resolve the current(I) in this problem. Is there a way to relate M and I or am I going about this problem in the completely wrong direction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. NI would be the TOTAL current in the toroid. You've probably figured out the bound surface current is [itex]K_b=M[/itex]. So knowing you have this bound surface currentm you can solve for the total current and equate that NI.
  4. Mar 30, 2006 #3
    Ok it seems then that the field should be

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 M}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}\mu_0 Mw}{\pi a}

B = \mu_0 M \left[ \frac{1}{L} - \frac{2\sqrt{2}w}{\pi a} \right]

However since L >> a and [tex]2\sqrt{2}w >> 1[/tex] the field would be negative. But that seems proposterous considering that w is just a minute width compared to the whole of the toroid.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  5. Mar 31, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That ain't right. How'd you get the L? The field shouldn't depend on L. (It also doesn't add up unit wise).

For the whole loop the total current is [itex]K_b(2\pi s)[/itex] so [itex]B=\mu_0M[/itex].
    The rest is all ok.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?