How to Calculate Velocity of Water through a Magnetohydrodynamic Thruster?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the velocity of water through a magnetohydrodynamic thruster and suggests that a complex computer simulation may be necessary. This would involve using fluid flow equations, Ampere's Law, and possibly a species evolution equation to accurately account for the effects of the magnetic field. The process of coding and solving these equations would be challenging.
Superposed_Cat
Hey, I was trying to find out how to calculate velocity of water through a magetohydrodynamic thruster given current, dimensions, pure water etc and google did not help me in my search, any help appreciated.

As far as I know there really is no easy solution to such a problem and you will likely require a substantially complex computer simulation. You would need a series of fluid flow equations that are essentially the Navier-Stokes equations with an added term for the body force added by the magnetic field. You would also need Ampere's Law, if I recall correctly. If you wanted an accurate answer you might need to have a species evolution equation that tracks the ionization of your fluid so that you can get an accurate body force (though I suppose you could probably assume that to be constant). Then coding up and solving those equations in your given system will be required, which is not trivial.

Someone with more MHD knowledge can correct me if I am wrong anywhere up there, as I don't generally deal with the "M" portion of that field.

1. What is Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD)?

Magnetohydrodynamics, also known as MHD, is a branch of physics that studies the dynamics of electrically conducting fluids in the presence of magnetic fields. It combines principles from both fluid dynamics and electromagnetism to understand how magnetic fields affect the motion of fluids and vice versa.

2. How is MHD used in practical applications?

MHD has a wide range of practical applications, including in the design of fusion reactors, propulsion systems for spacecraft, and the study of astrophysical phenomena such as the solar wind and magnetospheres. It is also used in industrial processes such as metal casting and mineral processing.

3. What are some key equations in MHD?

Some key equations in MHD include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid, and the Maxwell equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. MHD also involves other equations such as Ohm's law and the continuity equation, which describe the behavior of charged particles in a fluid.

4. What are some challenges in studying MHD?

One challenge in studying MHD is the complexity of the equations involved, which often require numerical methods for solving. Another challenge is the highly nonlinear nature of MHD, which can make it difficult to predict the behavior of a system. Additionally, the presence of turbulence and other instabilities can complicate the analysis of MHD systems.

5. What are some open questions in MHD research?

There are still many unanswered questions in MHD research, including the role of magnetic reconnection in plasma dynamics, the behavior of MHD systems at extreme conditions, and the interactions between MHD and other physical processes such as turbulence. Additionally, there is ongoing research in developing new and more accurate models for MHD systems.