1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetohydrodynamics question

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    Hey, I was trying to find out how to calculate velocity of water through a magetohydrodynamic thruster given current, dimensions, pure water etc and google did not help me in my search, any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as I know there really is no easy solution to such a problem and you will likely require a substantially complex computer simulation. You would need a series of fluid flow equations that are essentially the Navier-Stokes equations with an added term for the body force added by the magnetic field. You would also need Ampere's Law, if I recall correctly. If you wanted an accurate answer you might need to have a species evolution equation that tracks the ionization of your fluid so that you can get an accurate body force (though I suppose you could probably assume that to be constant). Then coding up and solving those equations in your given system will be required, which is not trivial.

Someone with more MHD knowledge can correct me if I am wrong anywhere up there, as I don't generally deal with the "M" portion of that field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook