Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetosphere on mars

1. Dec 11, 2017 #1
    According to recent research news, swedish PhD scholars have said that solar wind induces currents in the ionosphere of mars. This causes an induced magnetoshere which in turn protects the atmosphere from the same wind. This is quite difficult to believe. It is well known that mars does not really have a magnetosphere.
    What extra conditions must be satisfied so that a rotating core can induce magnetic shielding around a planet?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2017 #2
    It would help if you give a link to the said research.

4. Dec 11, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

agreed

and I doubt this thread should have been an A tag

5. Dec 11, 2017 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

I set it on "I". However, without a proper source and the knowledge of the calculations done by this unnamed Swedish physicist, it is really hard to tell. How do I know what I want to say before I hear what I've said?

6. Dec 12, 2017 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure this was not Venus?

7. Dec 12, 2017 #6
  8. Dec 12, 2017 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

OK, you seem not to have read/understood the text correctly
    It didn't say that Mars has a natural magnetic field as Earth does and this is what you are implying. It has Solar Wind INDUCED fields.

so there is nothing "difficult to believe" as you stated, there is no contradiction

Dave

9. Dec 12, 2017 #8
    I meant that the ability of solar wind induced fields to have the effect of the same magnitude as that of entire rotating core is what is indigestible

10. Dec 12, 2017 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

and where does it state that ?

it doesn't !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted