1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Magnetostatics definition

Tags:
  1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    When I learnt magnetostatics. My teacher and book said that it is the case of steady current. However, if I consider a circular loop, the electrons are in fact moving in uniform circular motion. That means they are accelerating. How come we can still define it to be a magnetostatic situation

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Steady current means that the current distribution is not changing with time. The individual electrons may be in accelerated motion, but the total current is not changing with time. Imagine a smooth waterfall with a constant flow of water falling over it. A given volume of water accelerates as it falls, but it is replaced by a new volume of water falling into the space it just left, so that the overall flow of water is constant in time.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    That's a great analogy! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted