Magnetostatics experiment flowchart - How can I improve this

In summary, the conversation involved a forum user seeking help with implementing a numerical surface integration method in FORTRAN to calculate the magnetic field outside of a bar magnet. The conversation provided suggestions and tips on how to approach this complex task, such as thoroughly understanding the method, breaking it down into smaller steps, consulting with others, and testing the program for accuracy.
john kly

Homework Statement

I'm attempting to write a FORTRAN program that calcuates the magnetic field, B, at any point outside of a bar magnet. I will be using a simple first order euler scheme for numerical surface integration.

Homework Equations

Here is the exact method I will be using: http://prntscr.com/icuqtj (image inserter wasn't working)

And here is the key equation: http://prntscr.com/icuqka

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my flow chart, that needs drastic improvement: http://prntscr.com/icur0u

I'm really struggling to translate the method into a flowchart. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It seems like you are trying to implement a numerical surface integration method to calculate the magnetic field outside of a bar magnet using FORTRAN. This is a complex task and I commend you for taking it on. I would like to offer some suggestions and advice to help you in your endeavor.

Firstly, it is important to have a clear understanding of the equations and methods you are using before attempting to translate them into a programming language. I would recommend thoroughly studying the method you have provided and understanding each step and its purpose.

Once you have a clear understanding of the method, you can start breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. This will help you in creating a more organized and efficient flowchart. For example, you can start with the basic steps of setting up the problem, defining variables, and initializing values.

Next, you can move on to the steps involved in the numerical surface integration method, such as calculating the surface elements and their corresponding magnetic field contributions. Make sure to include any necessary loops and conditions in your flowchart to account for different scenarios.

It may also be helpful to consult with other programmers or scientists who have experience in FORTRAN or numerical methods. They may be able to offer valuable insights and advice on how to approach this problem.

Lastly, I would suggest testing your program with simple inputs and comparing the results to known solutions to ensure its accuracy. This will also help you identify any errors or areas that need improvement in your flowchart.

I hope this helps you in creating a more efficient and accurate flowchart for your FORTRAN program. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I set up the equipment for a magnetostatics experiment?

To set up the equipment for a magnetostatics experiment, you will need a magnet, a compass, a ruler, a protractor, and a power source. Begin by placing the magnet on a flat surface, then use the ruler to measure the distance between the magnet and the compass. Use the protractor to measure the angle between the magnet and the compass, and adjust the position of the compass until it is perpendicular to the magnet. Finally, connect the power source to the magnet and observe any changes in the compass needle.

2. What is the purpose of a magnetostatics experiment flowchart?

The purpose of a magnetostatics experiment flowchart is to provide a visual representation of the steps and procedures involved in conducting a magnetostatics experiment. It helps to organize the experiment, identify any potential errors or improvements, and ensure that all necessary steps are followed.

3. How can I improve my magnetostatics experiment flowchart?

To improve your magnetostatics experiment flowchart, you can start by clearly defining the purpose and objectives of the experiment. Then, ensure that all necessary steps and procedures are included in the flowchart. You can also use symbols and diagrams to make the flowchart more visually appealing and easier to understand. Lastly, consider seeking feedback from other scientists or colleagues to identify any potential improvements.

4. Is it necessary to follow a specific order in the magnetostatics experiment flowchart?

Yes, it is important to follow a specific order in the magnetostatics experiment flowchart to ensure the accuracy and reproducibility of the results. The flowchart should guide you through each step in a logical sequence, from setting up the equipment to recording and analyzing the data. Deviating from the flowchart may result in inaccurate or inconsistent results.

5. What should I do if I encounter unexpected results in my magnetostatics experiment?

If you encounter unexpected results in your magnetostatics experiment, it is important to carefully examine your experimental setup and procedure. Check for any potential errors or variations from the established procedure. If necessary, repeat the experiment to confirm the results. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or conduct further research to understand the unexpected results.