Magnetostatics - Magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab

In summary: A wire would be a closed path that is infinite in length. It would have a cross-section (area) equal to its length.
cmo2978

Homework Statement

A thick slab in the region [itex] 0 \leq z \leq a [/itex], and infinite in [itex] xy [/itex] plane carries a current density [itex] \vec{J} = Jz\hat{x} [/itex]. Find the magnetic field as a function of [itex]z[/itex], both inside and outside the slab.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law: [tex]\oint \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{l} = \mu_0 I_{\text{enc}}=\mu_0\int_S\vec{J}\cdot d\vec{a}[/tex]
Biot-Savart Law: [tex]\vec{B}(\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}I\int_C d\vec{l}'\times\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'\right|^3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first approach was to start with the Ampere's Law. If the current density was uniform ([itex]\vec{J}=J\hat{x}[/itex]), by symmetry we would have [itex]B=0[/itex] at [itex]z=\frac{a}{2}[/itex] and find the magnetic field:
[tex]Bl=\mu_0l(z-a/2)J \quad \Rightarrow \quad \vec{B_{\text{in}}} = -\mu_0J(z-a/2)\hat{y}[/tex]
[itex]\dots[/itex]
In this case though, with a non-uniform current density, I can't see any symmetry or a way to find a proper Amperian loop to use. Am I missing something here?

Next I thought about using Biot-Savart Law,
[tex]\vec{B}(\vec{r})\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_V \vec{J}d\tau'\times\frac{\vec{r}-\vec{r}'}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'\right|^3}[/tex]
which I think is a bit of a ...stretch, since [itex]V[/itex] is infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion is to use Ampere's law and find ## d \vec{B} ## for each wire of infinite length (as a function of z), that is located at height ## z=z' ##. (Each ## d \vec{B} ## will have x and y components, but no z component). ## \\ ##The current carried by each ## dz ## will be ## dI=Jz \, dz ##. Incidentally, the current is a surface current, so that it is a current density per unit length, and they would have been better to say that surface current per unit length ## \vec{K}=J \, z \, \hat{x} ## , where ## J ## is a constant with units of current/unit area.

I suggest considering a thin sheet within the slab, at z=z. Make the x extent of the slab infinite but restrict the y direction to a length = 2L, making L arbitrarily large but finite.

Now consider an amperian loop extending parallel to the sheet in the y direction & wrapping around x = +/- L above and below the sheet. Can you assume ∫B⋅dl = - 2L J dz along the top and 2L J dz along the bottom of the sheet, ignoring ∫B⋅dl along the z direction above to below the sheet at x= + and -L?

Then sum all the thin sheets' B fields by integration.

Charles Link said:
(Each ## d \vec{B} ## will have x and y components, but no z component).
The current is traveling along the x direction so no x component of dB.

Likes Charles Link
rude man said:
The current is traveling along the x direction so no x component of dB.
I got the geometry momentarily confused, but otherwise my comments are applicable.

Charles Link said:
I got the geometry momentarily confused, but otherwise my comments are applicable.
I should have assumed a typo anyway.

I agree that J should have been written J = Jz z i
where Jz = constant = dJ/dz and J is the usual current density in amp/m2.

Other than that I'm not sure what your "wire" is. What is its cross-section?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to help the OP.

1. What is magnetostatics?

Magnetostatics is a branch of electromagnetism that deals with the study of magnetic fields and their behavior in the absence of changing electric fields. It focuses on the magnetic effects of steady currents and their interaction with permanent magnets.

2. What is a nonuniform current slab?

A nonuniform current slab is a region or volume of space where the flow of electric current is not constant or uniform. This means that the current density, or the amount of current flowing per unit area, varies within the slab.

3. How is the magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab calculated?

The magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is proportional to the current element passing through that point. The integration of the contributions from all current elements within the slab is required to determine the total magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab?

The magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the current within the slab, the distance from the slab, and the magnetic properties of the surrounding materials. The shape and size of the slab can also impact the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab?

Understanding the magnetic field of a nonuniform current slab is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, materials science, and geophysics. It can be used to design and optimize electromagnets and magnetic devices, as well as to study the behavior of magnetic materials. It also has applications in non-destructive testing and medical imaging techniques.