1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetostatics Proof

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2757/96034584.png [Broken]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the image above, magnetic flux enters the first interface of a three-layer geometry at an angle θi. If all three media are non-conducting and have permeabilities μ1, μ2, and μ3.
    a.) show that the angle θo is independent of the value of μ2.
    b.) show that θo = θi, when μ1 = μ3.

2. Relevant equations

1.) B1N = B2N
    2.) (1/μ1)B1T - (μ2)B2T = Js

3. The attempt at a solution

Right off the bat, I know that since the media are non-conducting, that the surface currents at the boundaries are 0. Therefore, (1/μ1)B1T =(1/μ2)B2T. Using formula #2, I can plug in values for both regions 1 and 2, and I can do the same for regions 2 and 3, but then when comparing regions 1 and 3, that is where it gets tricky because following the same form as the standard regions, the θ in region 2 when comparing regions 2 and 3 would be equal to (90-θ). What I end up determining is θo = sin-1((μ11)(B1sinθi)/(B3tanθ). As you can see, this form for θo doesn't really help me much for part b.)

If anyone can give me a word of advice or a path to start on that will lead me to the right answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you much!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    I solved the problem. Thanks for those who attempted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook