1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetostatics solving for constants after separation of variables spherical harmonic

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm attempting to solve the constants that are attained after using separation of variables for a solid permeable prolate spheroidal core wrapped with N turns of wire using boundary conditions.

H[itex]^{1}_{\delta}[/itex] inside core

H[itex]^{2}_{\delta}[/itex] insulation

H[itex]^{3}_{\delta}[/itex] outside

2. Relevant equations

H[itex]^{1}_{\delta}[/itex] = K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] B[itex]_{n}[/itex]P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex])P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])...(1)

H[itex]^{2}_{\delta}[/itex] = K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex])C[itex]_{n}[/itex][P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])+D[itex]_{n}[/itex]Q[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])]...(2)

H[itex]^{3}_{\delta}[/itex] = K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] E[itex]_{n}[/itex]P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex])Q[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])...(3)

The conditions are:

H[itex]^{2}_{\delta}[/itex] = H[itex]^{1}_{\delta}[/itex]...(4)

H[itex]^{3}_{\delta}[/itex] - H[itex]^{2}_{\delta}[/itex] = Surface current density...(5)

3. The attempt at a solution

H[itex]^{2}_{\delta}[/itex] = H[itex]^{1}_{\delta}[/itex]

K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex])C[itex]_{n}[/itex][P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])+D[itex]_{n}[/itex]Q[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])] = K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] B[itex]_{n}[/itex]P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex])P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])...(6)

K [itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]^{∞}_{n=1}[/itex] cancel out also P[itex]^{1}_{n}[/itex]([itex]\delta[/itex]) are orthogonal and cancel out. Therefore left with;

C[itex]_{n}[/itex][P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])+D[itex]_{n}[/itex]Q[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])] = B[itex]_{n}[/itex]P[itex]_{n}[/itex]([itex]\eta[/itex])

Solve for B[itex]_{n}[/itex] C[itex]_{n}[/itex] or D[itex]_{n}[/itex]?

Where do I go from here? If i sub this back into (6) doesn't get me anywhere. Unless I am missing something obvious.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?