Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnets and currents

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone!

I have been searching all over the internet for an answer to this question:
    will moving a magnet within a coiled wire induce a current even if the magnet "stays" within the coiled wire for a matter of seconds?
    I am planning an improvement to an experiment where a magnet attached to a pendulum will oscillate inducing a current at either side of the maximum displacement, and hence I wonder, if it is possible.

Physics is not my strongest field so all answers and help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    And it makes no difference whether you use the N or S end of the magnet..the induced currents will be equal but opposite direction. A similar induction can be accomplished via a pair of parallel coils where one carries a fixed current and the other doesn't..relative motion induces currents in the other. An analogous effect occurs in tranformers where instead of motion causing the changing magnetic field and ac current varies the field and again currents are induced.
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much for your reply!

I have just one more little(dum) question: so if I have a circuit with one end connected to one end of the coiled wire, a light bulb in the middle of the circuit and the terminal end of the circuit connected to the other end of the coiled wire, when the magnet runs through the wire, the light bulb will light up?

Thank you so much for the taking the time. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?