Magnets & Gravity: Making a Magnet Rotate

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating magnet orbits and floating objects using magnets. It is mentioned that electric motors are able to make magnets rotate around a center point, but it may not be possible to have one magnet orbit another without magnetic monopoles. The idea of creating a "magnetic orbit" between two magnets is also explored, but it is noted that this would be more unstable than a gravitational orbit. Additionally, the conversation touches on the concept of Maglev and using magnets to levitate objects, but it is noted that magnets cannot create energy on their own.
zelldot
is it posible to make a magnet rotate around a center point, with the use of other magnets?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric motors do that. Or do you mean fixed magnets? If you mean by fixing magnets to an apparatus at specific angles to make another magnet spin, no, it can't be done.

zelldot said:
is it posible to make a magnet rotate around a center point, with the use of other magnets?

Do you mean to ask if it is possible to have a magnet orbit another magnet as the Moon orbits the Earth?

If so, I don't think that it is possible without magnetic monopoles.

you can place the magnets how you want, use anything you want, eg, string tieing up a magnet, whilt there is a magnet in the center, and yes i do want to make a magnet orbit anouther magnet or object... like the moon orbits the earth

The moon does not exactly orbit the earth, they orbit each other or I guess more properly, a common center of mass.

If you mean that you want to say balance the repulsive force of two magnets with some force or forces acting in the opposite direction, yes, you just have to engineer that situation.

But without some force other than their repulsive force (or attractive if you go the other way) you won't create an orbit, perhaps tying two magnets together on a stinger will create some straight line relationship but then an orbit requires more than that.

Isn't he askeing if the tangential force would cancel the attractive force, just like a gravitational orbit? Could you not set two magnets in "magnetic orbit" around each other?

Let's see, you would have to restrict their motion to a plane so that you could eliminate the dipole problem.

Now, magnets attract as the cube of their separation, right? And you'd have the poles acting at both ends (N-S on top and S-N on the bottom), so your force would be 2r^3.

Still, you should be able to (in theory) impart enough velocity upon them to cancel the attractive force, putting them in orbit about each other.

Of course, it would be much more unstable than a gravitational orbit, since any perturbations are cubed rather than squared.

how could i make and object float and spin by them selves, using magnets, or even just float.

zelldot said:
how could i make and object float and spin by them selves, using magnets, or even just float.

You haven't heard about Maglev, or even seen those too-popular demonstration of superconductors levitating in magnetic fields?

Zz.

zelldot said:
You should know that you won't be able to get magnets to do "work". You can impart energy to the system (just like you could start a pail of water on a string swinging around your head) but it won't do it on its own. Magnets are not a source of energy.

1. How do magnets rotate?

Magnets rotate due to the interaction between their magnetic field and the Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field causes the magnet to align itself along the North-South direction, and when the magnet is placed on a pivot, it can rotate freely.

2. What is the role of gravity in making a magnet rotate?

Gravity plays a crucial role in making a magnet rotate. The Earth's gravity pulls the magnet towards the ground, but the magnetic force from the Earth's magnetic field prevents the magnet from falling. This creates a balance, allowing the magnet to rotate around its pivot.

3. Can any magnet rotate?

Not all magnets can rotate. Only magnets that have a strong enough magnetic field and are placed on a pivot can rotate. Also, the magnet must be able to interact with the Earth's magnetic field for rotation to occur.

4. How can I make a magnet rotate?

To make a magnet rotate, you can use a strong neodymium magnet and place it on a pivot such as a needle or a nail. Alternatively, you can use an electromagnet and control the rotation by adjusting the current flowing through it.

5. Is it possible to control the speed of the rotating magnet?

Yes, it is possible to control the speed of a rotating magnet. By changing the strength of the magnetic field or the current flowing through the electromagnet, you can change the speed at which the magnet rotates. You can also add additional weights to the magnet to increase or decrease its rotational speed.