Magnetism & Inertia: Can Objects Orbit Each Other?

In summary, two objects that are mutually attracted can orbit around a common center of magnetism for a finite amount of time, but if no rotational impulse is provided, they will eventually collapse.
litewk
Hi,
Is it possible for two objects of nearly the exact same size, mass, and magnetic field strength to form something analogous to a curved space orbit in a relatively flat space by balancing inertia with magnetism? In other words, can two mutually magnetic objects orbit around a common center of magnetism for any length of time at some given distance scale?
If so, can all four fundamental forces of physics form six relationships via their orbital time period ratios. It seems like macro orbits have no meaning in the quantum world but this thought occurred to me a while back and I am non-degreed so I'm unable to solve this one easily.
Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any force that is central and attractive, like gravity, will lead to conservation of angular momentum, meaning that stable orbits are possible. The electrostatic force between two opposite charges is central and attractive, and the magnetostatic force between two ideal opposite magnetic poles is central and attractive, so you might think that electric charges or magnets could form stable orbits around each other. The problem is that orbits require motion, which mean we are no longer in statics. When motion is involved, the magnetic and electric field become coupled, and you enter the realm of electrodynamics. The electromagnetic (Lorentz) force is not central and therefore two electromagnetic objects cannot form a stable orbit with each other (classically speaking). This means classically that electrons should not form stable orbits around nuclei. This is the problem that lead to the need for a quantum description of atoms.

I disagree with chrisbaird. Not all central force orbits are stable. In fact, (Bertrand's theorem) only TWO types of orbits are stable: inverse-square law (gravity, electrostatics) and a radial harmonic oscillator type.

The attraction between two magnets is certainly NOT 1/r^2. I can't even remember what it is off the top of my head, but I remember trying to figure it out at some point and it was complicated... something like 1/r^3, or something similar.

litewk said:
In other words, can two mutually magnetic objects orbit around a common center of magnetism for any length of time at some given distance scale?

If there is a rotational impulse provided, yes(this prevents/slows the collapse). If not, no.

The pair of objects taken together will have a time-varying dipole moment. Therefore they will radiate electromagnetic waves, lose both energy and angular momentum and ultimately collapse.

DrFurious,

Thank you for clarifying. I did not mean to imply that a central force is a sufficient condition, just a necessary condition. Hence the word 'possible'.

Also, the attraction between two idealized point-like magnetic poles is an inverse square law, or similarly the force between two infinitesimal strips of current is an inverse square law. (See Jackson Eq. 5.10 for example.) Of course, idealizations like this are non-physical and when we go to actual macroscopic objects, the fields and forces get more complicated.

- Chris

chrisbaird said:
Also, the attraction between two idealized point-like magnetic poles is an inverse square law, or similarly the force between two infinitesimal strips of current is an inverse square law. (See Jackson Eq. 5.10 for example.) Of course, idealizations like this are non-physical and when we go to actual macroscopic objects, the fields and forces get more complicated.

Your reference is spot on. And the fields do get pretty complicated :)

Word to the wise though: if you have to do an experiment, don't rely on the magnetic result from (e.g. Jackson). Cause you will go crazy. Other non-dipole forces behave a lot easier.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a fundamental force in nature that is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of certain materials, such as iron or nickel.

2. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. It is related to an object's mass and can be thought of as a measure of its resistance to acceleration.

3. Can magnets affect the inertia of an object?

No, magnets do not directly affect an object's inertia. Inertia is a property of mass and is not influenced by external forces, such as magnetism.

4. Can objects orbit each other based on their magnetism?

Yes, objects can orbit each other based on their magnetism. This is known as magnetic orbiting and occurs when two objects with opposite magnetic poles are attracted to each other and rotate around a central point.

5. Is magnetic orbiting the same as gravitational orbiting?

No, magnetic orbiting is not the same as gravitational orbiting. While both involve objects orbiting around a central point, magnetic orbiting is due to the attraction between magnetic poles, whereas gravitational orbiting is due to the force of gravity between objects with mass.