Magnets and their polarity - what would happen if

In summary, the conversation is about determining the outcome of placing two neodymium magnets in a specific position. The purpose is to determine the size of magnets needed for a limited space without having to wait for potentially wrong magnets to ship. The discussion involves understanding the poles of the magnets and how they will interact with each other in order to make a decision. One person suggests trying out the experiment with two magnets, but the other person prefers a more detailed explanation. In the end, it is determined that the magnets will attract and repel each other based on their poles, and it is also mentioned that the experiment can be used to impress friends.
Stoph
If I were to take 2 neodymium magnets, and lay one down on the table, and stand the other on its end on top of it (resembling an upside-down T), would they attract, repel, or be neutral? Two poles of the standing magnet against the single pole that is facing up... what would the outcome be?

I would experiment myself and just buy two magnets, but this discussion will determine precisely what size magnets I buy, as my purpose has limited space, and I don't have weeks to wait for potentially wrong magnets to ship.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can work this out for yourself, I think. Where will the N pole of the upright magnet be pulled and where will the S pole be pulled? That tells you what will happen to each pole. Where will that take you in deciding what happens to that magnet, finally?

Rudimentary physics is not my strong suit at the end of the day... or at the start, for that matter.

If the flat magnet's pole is S, does that mean it will try and repel the S of the upright and attract the N, thus flipping it N side down and connecting the two?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a very simple answer, I just lack the mental capacity to get there at this moment...

N to S and S to N. As you say.
But it would be better fun to buy two magnets. You can do the magnet-under-the-table /seance trick and amaze all your friends.

Thanks for walking me through that one, I just needed to be sure.

Cheers!

1. What is the difference between north and south pole of a magnet?

The poles of a magnet refer to the two ends of the magnet where the magnetic force is the strongest. The north pole of a magnet is attracted to the south pole of another magnet, while the north pole of one magnet repels the north pole of another magnet. The same applies for the south poles.

2. Can the polarity of a magnet change?

Yes, the polarity of a magnet can change. This process is called magnetization and can occur through various methods such as heating, exposure to a strong magnetic field, or rubbing the magnet on an unmagnetized material.

3. What happens if you cut a magnet in half?

If you cut a magnet in half, each half will become its own magnet with a north and south pole. This is because the magnetic domains inside the magnet are aligned in a specific direction, and cutting the magnet will not change their alignment.

4. How does the polarity of a magnet affect its strength?

The polarity of a magnet does not affect its strength. The strength of a magnet is determined by the material it is made of and its size. However, the arrangement of the magnetic domains can affect the strength of a magnet, as a well-aligned magnet will be stronger than a randomly aligned magnet.

5. What would happen if two magnets with opposite polarity are placed together?

If two magnets with opposite polarity are placed together, they will attract each other and stick together. This is because the magnetic force between the opposite poles is stronger than the repulsive force between the same poles.