Magnets at Absolute Zero: Exploring the Effects on Iron Filings"

In summary: Interesting. So if you had a container of iron filings and placed a magnet near them and then took the Magnet away and put them back at room temp, would the filings still be near each other or would they be spread out?If you had a container of iron filings and placed a magnet near them and then took the Magnet away and put them back at room temp, would the filings still be near each other or would they be spread out?I think they would still be near each other, as the magnetic field would keep them close together.
jimmy p
Gold Member
OK i was just wondering what would happen if you had a bunch of Iron filings at absolute zero and put a magnet near to them. Would they move or would nothing happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a first gues off the top o fmy head, but I think the presence of a magnetic field intruding on the filings would constitute an input of energy, raising the temperature so that they atre no longer at 0oK. But if you could get the filings to 0oK and keep them there while in the presence of a magnet, they should remain unneffected. For any change to take place requires energy, and there is no energy at absolute zero.

Interesting.
I wonder if this experiment has been done while using liguid nitrogen, for example, and comparing the results at normal temperatures.

Lol i was in a Physicsy mood yesterday and thought about it. I am not sure myself, how would a magnetic field constitute as providing energy to something?

It's a nonsense question. You can't reach absolute zero.

- Warren

where is your sense of fun? I am talking hypothetically!

The question cannot be answered by existing theory -- it is a singularity. Anything could happen. You could suddenly find yourself upside down, wearing your grandma's underwear. There's no way one can even speculate what will happen in a physically impossible situation.

- Warren

ok so no-one knows the answer...i have found my life mission.

Originally posted by chroot
...You could suddenly find yourself upside down, wearing your grandma's underwear... - Warren

You have that dream too huh? disturbing, ain't it?!

I think the only "hypothetical" thing we can say about absolute zero is that nothing moves. The magnetic field coming into proximity of the filing would constitute a change in their environment, therefore an input of energy.

chroot, take it easy. Man, i think if this forum was real life you'd be a serial killer. i mean, sure, it is impossible...but don't get so upset.

Lets simplify and just ask how the attraction of a magnet to cold iron compares to the attraction of a magnet to warmer iron.

Besides - what's the big deal with the 'entire unpredictability of an impossible situation'? If absolute zero is similarly impossible, couldn't you similarly say that crazy things could happen such as "wearing your grandmothers underwear'?

ok, seeing as this thread is getting no where, if you had iron filings at NEAR absolute zero and placed a magnet next to them, would the resultant movement happen at a slower velocity than if the same experiment was repeated at room temperature?

Originally posted by jimmy p
ok, seeing as this thread is getting no where, if you had iron filings at NEAR absolute zero and placed a magnet next to them, would the resultant movement happen at a slower velocity than if the same experiment was repeated at room temperature?

Indeed, one would think so. After all, magnetic interaction on a target material is dependent, in large part, on the movement ability of the electrons within that target materials' atomic structure. So, without specific examples, I believe you are correct in concept.
I could see how a super-cooled ferrous material would have definite and different properties of potential magnetic attraction or reactivity to an outside magnetic field. Conceptually, it should be less.
Curious if any actual experiments have been done to establish effect parameters.

Just curious, how is magnetic attraction measured?

you WOULD be doing this in a vacuum, um, right? I hope so, because if you reaced a steady and constant tempature of absolute zero, wouldn't the air around it freeze and keep freezing all the air everywhere on the surface on the earth? Do all chemical changes/reactions stop at absolute zero?

Oh yeah, of course it would be in a vacuum, don't want any pesky air ruining my plans. I would think that all chemical reactions would stop at absolute zero.

1. How do magnets behave at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the temperature at which all molecular motion stops, magnets will still exert a force and attract or repel other magnets. However, this force will be significantly weaker than at higher temperatures due to the lack of thermal energy.

2. What happens to iron filings when exposed to magnets at absolute zero?

Iron filings will still be affected by the magnetic field of a magnet at absolute zero, but the alignment and movement of the filings will be limited due to the lack of thermal energy. This may result in a less defined and weaker pattern compared to when the filings are exposed to a magnet at higher temperatures.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetic properties at absolute zero?

No, magnets will not lose their magnetic properties at absolute zero. The atoms in a magnet will still have their magnetic dipole moments, which give the magnet its magnetic field, even at extremely low temperatures.

4. How does the strength of a magnet change at absolute zero?

The strength of a magnet at absolute zero will decrease compared to its strength at higher temperatures. This is because at absolute zero, thermal energy is completely absent and thermal energy is a major factor in determining the strength of a magnet's magnetic field.

5. Can absolute zero be achieved in real-world experiments?

No, achieving absolute zero is theoretically impossible. However, scientists have been able to cool certain substances to just a fraction of a degree above absolute zero, which allows for the study of the effects of extremely low temperatures on various materials, including magnets and iron filings.