Can Magnets Repel Each Other When Charged? Find Out Here!

• Thread starter PieintheSky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction between two magnets and the potential effects of a battery being attached to one of them. However, it is important to note that magnetic and electrostatic forces are not the same and cannot be cancelled out.
PieintheSky
Ok, so by no means am i extensively knowledgeable in physics, and the question I'm about to post may or may not have an obvious answer.

SO suppose i have two magnets. Obviously, magnets have a negative and a positive end. Naturally the opposite charges attract, and when you try to push like charged ends together, they repel.

Now imagine the two magnets, one placed on top of the other. The positive end of the bottom magnet is facing up, and the negative end of the top magnet is facing down. The magnets are stuck together at this point. Now, we attach a battery to the bottom magnet using gator cables, causing negatively charged electrons to flow through the magnet. Would this cause the bottom magnet to incur a negative charge, thus repelling the negatively charged end of the top magnet? And if so, would the top magnet hover in place above the bottom magnet, or would it be pushed off the bottom magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
PieintheSky said:
Ok, so by no means am i extensively knowledgeable in physics, and the question I'm about to post may or may not have an obvious answer.

SO suppose i have two magnets. Obviously, magnets have a negative and a positive end. Naturally the opposite charges attract, and when you try to push like charged ends together, they repel.

Now imagine the two magnets, one placed on top of the other. The positive end of the bottom magnet is facing up, and the negative end of the top magnet is facing down. The magnets are stuck together at this point. Now, we attach a battery to the bottom magnet using gator cables, causing negatively charged electrons to flow through the magnet. Would this cause the bottom magnet to incur a negative charge, thus repelling the negatively charged end of the top magnet? And if so, would the top magnet hover in place above the bottom magnet, or would it be pushed off the bottom magnet?

Attaching one pole of a battery to one end of one magnet will not cause a current to flow and will not cause charge to move.

Also, magnetic force is not the same thing as electrostatic force. You cannot cancel it with a static charge. To a crude approximation, magnetic force operates at right angles to moving charges.

Like Jbriggs said, negative charges don't interact with magnetic fields they way they do with electric fields. Look of the Lorentz law.

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by producing a magnetic field, which is created by the movement of electrons in the atoms that make up the magnet. This magnetic field can attract or repel other magnets, as well as certain metals.

2. What are the different types of magnets?

There are several types of magnets, including permanent magnets, electromagnets, and temporary magnets. Permanent magnets, such as those found in refrigerator magnets, retain their magnetism without the need for an external power source. Electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a wire, and their strength can be controlled by adjusting the current. Temporary magnets, like those found in paperclips, only exhibit magnetic properties when in the presence of a strong magnetic field.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen due to temperature changes, exposure to strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, some materials, such as iron, can be magnetized again after losing their magnetism.

4. What are the uses of magnets?

Magnets have many practical applications, including in generators and motors, speakers, credit cards, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday items such as door latches, cabinet closures, and compasses.

5. Are there any health risks associated with magnets?

Magnets can pose a health risk if ingested or if they interfere with medical devices such as pacemakers. However, for most people, handling magnets is safe. It is important to follow safety precautions when handling strong magnets and to keep them away from electronic devices and credit cards.