1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnification confusion

1. May 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The distance between the objective and eyepiece lenses in a microscope is 21cm . The objective lens has a focal length of 5.5mm. What eyepiece focal length will give the microscope an overall angular magnification of 350?

2. Relevant equations
    M=(25*d)/(fe*fo) or
    M=(25*d)/(fe*fo)+25?

where d=5.5cm, M=350, f0=21cm, and fe is unknown

3. The attempt at a solution
    The online program says the answer is 2.4cm using the second equation, so I'm wondering why I don't use the first equation that doesn't add +25, and where the +25 came from? It's really bugging me. (I do not mean the first 25 which is being multiplied by d).

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Is any more information given by the question? Is the eye relaxed or strained? A strained eye has a different equation from a relaxed eye.

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    Nope. Doesn't give any extra information. That's it.

5. May 12, 2015 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

There are two formula. The microscope can be setup so that the final image forms either at the near point
    (25 cm from the eye) or very far away (infinity). The +25 formula is used when the image is formed at the near point (N = 25 cm) and the other one is used if it is formed very far away.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. May 12, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Explained here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted