Magnification of an Astronomical Telescope

In summary, the formula for magnification in case of a compound microscope is Magnification=(Angle Made By Object On Aided Eye)/(Angle Made by Object on Un-aided Eye). This formula may also be used for calculating the magnification of an Astronomical Telescope, as the angles involved are what count in a telescope and the objects can be considered at infinity. For more information and clarification, it is recommended to search on Google.
navneet9431
Gold Member
My teacher taught me a formula for magnification in case of Compound Microscope,
Magnification=(Angle Made By Object On Aided Eye)/(Angle Made by Object on Un-aided Eye)

Can I use this formula for calculating magnification of Astronomical Telescope?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
navneet9431 said:
My teacher taught me a formula for magnification in case of Compound Microscope,
Magnification=(Angle Made By Object On Aided Eye)/(Angle Made by Object on Un-aided Eye)

Can I use this formula for calculating magnification of Astronomical Telescope?

Thanks!

Google is a wonderful thing :wink:

Here, have a read and anything you don't understand, come back with specific questions :smile: ...

http://rocketmime.com/astronomy/Telescope/Magnification.htmlDave

The Astronomical Telescope is a fair bit easier to undestand (putting aside the fancy additional lenses that are sometimes used) because the Objects can certainly be considered at 'infinity' and all the images appear in the same plane which (for most users) is also at Infinity. The angles involved are certainly what counts in a telescope.
+1 about the idea of using Google on this one.

1. What is magnification in an astronomical telescope?

Magnification in an astronomical telescope refers to the degree to which the image of an object appears larger when viewed through the telescope compared to the naked eye. It is determined by the ratio of the focal length of the telescope's objective lens or primary mirror to the focal length of the eyepiece.

2. How is magnification calculated in an astronomical telescope?

Magnification is calculated by dividing the focal length of the telescope's objective lens or primary mirror by the focal length of the eyepiece. For example, if a telescope has a focal length of 1000mm and an eyepiece with a focal length of 10mm, the magnification would be 100x (1000mm/10mm = 100).

3. Does a higher magnification always mean a better view?

No, a higher magnification does not always mean a better view. While a higher magnification may make an object appear larger, it can also decrease the brightness and clarity of the image. The maximum useful magnification for a telescope is typically 50x per inch of aperture, so a telescope with a 4-inch aperture would have a maximum useful magnification of 200x.

4. Can I change the magnification of an astronomical telescope?

Yes, the magnification of an astronomical telescope can be changed by switching to a different eyepiece with a different focal length. Eyepieces come in a variety of focal lengths, and the magnification can be adjusted by choosing the appropriate eyepiece for the desired level of magnification.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the magnification of an astronomical telescope?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the magnification of an astronomical telescope. The quality and design of the telescope's optics, as well as atmospheric conditions, can also impact the magnification and overall viewing experience. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a telescope and determining the appropriate magnification for observing different objects in the night sky.