Finding the Position of a Sample Using Microscope Magnification

In summary, a microscope with a tube length of 200 mm and a total magnification of 800x has a 40x objective lens and a 20x eyepiece. The sample is located 2.97 cm before the objective lens. The focal lengths of the lenses are 0.5 cm for the objective lens and 1.25 cm for the eyepiece lens.
estanton

Homework Statement

A microscope with a tube length of 200 mm achieves a total magnification of 800\times with a 40 \times objective and a 20\times eyepiece. The microscope is focused for viewing with a relaxed eye.
How far is the sample from the objective lens?

Homework Equations

1/s+1/s'=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the two focal lengths for the lenses to be 1/40=0.025m (objective) and 1/20=0.05 m (eyepiece).
Next I calculated the position of the virtual image projected by objective lens. Assuming the final image should be at -25cm the virtual image would be at 4.16cm before the objective lense.
Since there is 20cm between the two lenses this means that the image projected by the objective lens would be at 15.84cm behind the objective lens. Finally I calculated that the object should be at 2.97 cm before the objective lens. However Mastering Physics is telling me this answer is not correct.
Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnification Mo = L/fo
Magnification of eye-piece = Me = 25 cm/fe.

that would make the focal distances 0.5cm and 1.25 cm for the objective and eyepiece lenses respectively? Using those foci I still do not get the correct answer (0.51 cm).

1. What is magnification and why is it important in scientific research?

Magnification refers to the process of making an object appear larger than its actual size. In scientific research, magnification is important because it allows scientists to observe and study objects and organisms that are too small to be seen with the naked eye.

2. How is magnification achieved in scientific instruments?

Magnification can be achieved in scientific instruments such as microscopes and telescopes through the use of lenses or mirrors. These lenses or mirrors bend and focus light, making objects appear larger and clearer.

3. What are the limitations of magnification in scientific research?

One limitation of magnification in scientific research is that it can distort the image of the object being observed. This can make it difficult to accurately interpret the data collected. Additionally, the resolution of the instrument can also limit the amount of detail that can be observed.

4. How can I determine the magnification of an object or image?

The magnification of an object or image can be determined by dividing the size of the image by the size of the actual object. This can be calculated using a ruler or measuring tool. Alternatively, the magnification may be indicated on the instrument being used.

5. What are some common errors that can occur with magnification in scientific research?

Common errors that can occur with magnification in scientific research include inaccurate calibration of the instrument, improper use of the instrument, and human error in interpreting the magnified image. These errors can lead to incorrect measurements and observations, affecting the overall accuracy of the research.