Is there a way to increase air compressor output at the race track?

In summary: It is rated at 670 lbs at 100 psi and can be compressed using air from an air compressor in the garage. The problem is that at the race course, the air compressor is located such that no one can adjust the max psi before it shuts off, and at 80 psi this cylinder stalls out. If the cylinder could be charged with shop air to a higher pressure, it might work.
Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK race fans, I bought a pancake air cylinder from Mcmaster carr. Rated at 670 lbs at 100 psi and it fits under the rear wing mount and when compressed air is applied , the cylinder lifts the rear half of the race car. Problem is at the garage at the race course. The air compressor in the garage is located such that no one can adjust the max psi before it shuts off. I am not getting 100 psi and the air cylinder stalls out at mid lift. If i only have 80 psi available from the air line, is there anything I can do to increase this? If i had a storage tank i am still maxed out at 80 psi right?

I suspect the is no unless i bring my own air compressor to the track..any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what a Pancake air cylinder is but do you need to be attached to the airline for it to work or do you have an onboard resevoir that you top up?

Ranger Mike said:
Problem is at the garage at the race course. The air compressor in the garage is located such that no one can adjust the max psi before it shuts off.

I expect that's not so much a "problem" as a basic safety feature. If the garage air system (i.e. all the pipework, tools, etc - not just the compressor) is only rated at 80psi, trying to override the max pressure is not a good idea.

Could you bring compressed air in a tank, like one of those used for filling tires?
[PLAIN]http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/14147_lg.jpg
They don't hold much air but they generally go to 120 psi or more. If you need to operate the cylinder a lot and these don't hold enough air, you could charge the pancake cylinder with shop air to 80 psi and then just top it off with this, or go with a higher pressure tank such as these:
[PLAIN]http://www.cyl-tec.com/images/products/compressed-gas-cylinder.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a nitrogen bottle?

There are pressure multipliers available. They are basically a piston driving a smaller piston. You could valve one of these up to run on the provided shop air. Sounds stupid but I suppose you could call it an air driven air compressor.

thanks fellows..the race course garages have one air compressor per 4 garages..We were in number 9 and the one in number 12 works quite well...the air lines are to building code and can handle 150 psi easily. Iron pipe 1/2 " .i.d. and i suspect its a matter of improper settings..we do have a large Nitrogen bottle in the car trailer. I guess i could bring the little air compressor along. We have generator and this small air compressor for race events that do not offer garage rental..camping out and working on a race car in the grass is not my idea of " fun" ..besides, the cost to rent a garage should mean you have all the luxuries..like air and water..
guess i check out the " multipliers"...thanks..
btw.pancake cylinder is simply a very low profile air cylinder

Attachments

• pancake ac.png
    pancake ac.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

1. What is an air compressor?

An air compressor is a mechanical device that converts power into potential energy stored in compressed air. It is commonly used in various industries and households for powering tools and equipment, as well as for inflating tires and other objects.

2. How does an air compressor work?

An air compressor works by drawing in air through an intake valve and compressing it using a piston or rotating impeller. This compressed air is then stored in a tank or released through a hose for use.

3. What is meant by "magnify air compressor output"?

When we talk about magnifying air compressor output, we are referring to increasing the amount of compressed air that can be produced by the compressor. This can be achieved by using different techniques such as increasing the horsepower of the motor, optimizing the compressor's design, or using multiple compressors in parallel.

4. Why would someone want to magnify air compressor output?

Magnifying air compressor output can be beneficial in situations where a higher volume or pressure of compressed air is needed. This could be for powering larger tools or equipment, increasing productivity, or meeting the demands of a particular application.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to magnifying air compressor output?

Yes, there are some potential risks and drawbacks to consider when trying to magnify air compressor output. These could include increased energy consumption, higher maintenance and operating costs, and potential safety hazards if not done properly. It is important to carefully assess the needs and limitations of your specific situation before attempting to magnify air compressor output.