Magnitude and acceleration [SOLVED] Magnitude and acceleration

In summary, the task involved calculating the magnitude and angle of acceleration for an asteroid being pushed by astronauts using jet backpacks. The net force was found to be 100.79 N, resulting in an acceleration of 0.77 m/s^2 at an angle of 10 degrees clockwise from the positive x axis or 350 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x axis.
TS656577
[SOLVED] Magnitude and acceleration

Homework Statement

Three astronauts, propelled by jet backpacks, push and guide a 130 kg asteroid toward a processing dock, exerting the forces shown in the figure, with F1 = 32 N, F2 = 52 N, F3 = 39 N, θ1 = 30°, and θ3 = 60°. What is the (a) magnitude and (b) angle (measured relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the asteroid's acceleration?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

If i had to make a guess...would i add the forces up which would be...129=ma where m is 130kg? Or would the magnitude be each mass squared and the square root of those sums which would be 72.45 in this case?

Attachments

• q7.jpg
    q7.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so i believe i figured out the x component of the net forces which i got to be 99.21 and -y component was -17.77. To get the magnitude for part a, I take 99.21^2 and -17.77^2. Add them together and take the square root which i got to be 100.79. However, i put that answer into the program and its wrong. Any ideas? I also got the x component for the acceleration which is .76 and the y is -.137. Then i take y/x and the inverse tan of that answer?

TS656577 said:
Ok, so i believe i figured out the x component of the net forces which i got to be 99.21 and -y component was -17.77. To get the magnitude for part a, I take 99.21^2 and -17.77^2. Add them together and take the square root which i got to be 100.79. However, i put that answer into the program and its wrong. Any ideas? I also got the x component for the acceleration which is .76 and the y is -.137. Then i take y/x and the inverse tan of that answer?
That looks better, but the magnitude of the net force is 100.79...that's not the magnitude of the acceleration. Your acceleration components look good (don't forget the units and round offs), angle theta looks good , ( is it clockwise or counterclockwise from x axis)...so now what do you get for the magnitude and direction of the acceleration?

for the magnitude...im guessing youd take each term squared and take teh square root of that sum. Like for before with the magnitude. I am not entirely sure how the 100.79 comes into play then...

For part A i got .77 m/s^2 and part b, i got -10.22 degrees but not sure of what to put in. Would i subtract that from 360?

TS656577 said:
For part A i got .77 m/s^2 and part b, i got -10.22 degrees but not sure of what to put in. Would i subtract that from 360?
Looks good, the .77m/s^2 acceleration acts about 10 degrees clockwise from the positive x axis, or 350 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x axis. I'd say use .77 at 350, although .77 at -10 would also be correrct. Note that you calculated the net force to be 100.79, so using F_net=ma, you'd get a =100.79/130 = .77, same result, and the angle at which it acts would also be (must be) the same as the acceleation angle (acceleration is always in the direction of the net force).

1. What is magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the size or extent of something, often measured in terms of a numerical value.

2. How is magnitude related to acceleration?

Magnitude and acceleration are both physical quantities that can be measured and have a numerical value. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, and therefore has a magnitude associated with it.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and acceleration?

The main difference between magnitude and acceleration is that magnitude is a general term that can refer to the size or extent of any physical quantity, while acceleration specifically refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity.

4. How is magnitude calculated?

The calculation of magnitude depends on the specific physical quantity being measured. For example, the magnitude of force can be calculated by multiplying mass and acceleration (F=ma), while the magnitude of velocity can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (v=√(Vx^2 + Vy^2)).

5. What is the unit of measurement for magnitude and acceleration?

The unit of measurement for magnitude depends on the specific physical quantity being measured, while the unit for acceleration is typically meters per second squared (m/s^2).