Magnitude and angle of particle direction-

In summary, a 0.26 kg particle moves in an xy plane according to two equations, with x and y in meters and t in seconds. At t = 2.0 s, the question asks for the magnitude and angle of the net force on the particle, as well as the angle of the particle's direction of travel. The correct answers are 31.04 for the magnitude, 146.309 degrees for the angle, and 123.69 degrees for the direction of travel. However, without seeing the detailed calculations, it is difficult to determine where the mistake was made.
physics131
A 0.26 kg particle moves in an xy plane according to x(t) = - 10 + 2 t - 3 t3(t cubed) and y(t) = 29 + 3 t - 4 t2 (t squared), with x and y in meters and t in seconds. At t = 2.0 s, what are (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle (within (-180°, 180°] interval relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the net force on the particle, and (c) what is the angle of the particle's direction of travel?

To solve this question I differentiated the two equations given and also found the accceleration.I then subbed in my value for t (t=2). After some more calculations I got 31.04 as my answer for part (a)146.309 degrees for part (b) and 123.69 degrees for part (c)
These answers are wrong and i can't understand where I am going wrong.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
physics131 said:
A 0.26 kg particle moves in an xy plane according to x(t) = - 10 + 2 t - 3 t3(t cubed) and y(t) = 29 + 3 t - 4 t2 (t squared), with x and y in meters and t in seconds. At t = 2.0 s, what are (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle (within (-180°, 180°] interval relative to the positive direction of the x axis) of the net force on the particle, and (c) what is the angle of the particle's direction of travel?

To solve this question I differentiated the two equations given and also found the accceleration.I then subbed in my value for t (t=2). After some more calculations I got 31.04 as my answer for part (a)146.309 degrees for part (b) and 123.69 degrees for part (c)
These answers are wrong and i can't understand where I am going wrong.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated!

Yes, your answers are wrong. But we can not do anything if you do not show your work in detail.

ehild

What is the significance of magnitude and angle in particle direction?

The magnitude and angle of a particle's direction are important because they determine the particle's overall velocity and direction of motion. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems.

How are the magnitude and angle of particle direction related?

The magnitude and angle of particle direction are closely related as they both contribute to the overall direction and speed of the particle. The magnitude represents the particle's speed or velocity, while the angle represents the direction in which the particle is moving.

Can the magnitude and angle of particle direction change over time?

Yes, the magnitude and angle of particle direction can change over time. This often occurs when a force is applied to the particle, altering its velocity and direction of motion. Changes in the environment, such as changes in temperature or pressure, can also affect the magnitude and angle of particle direction.

How is the magnitude and angle of particle direction measured?

The magnitude of particle direction is typically measured in units of speed, such as meters per second or miles per hour. The angle of particle direction is measured in degrees or radians, depending on the system of measurement being used.

What factors can influence the magnitude and angle of particle direction?

The magnitude and angle of particle direction can be influenced by various factors, such as external forces, collisions with other particles, and changes in the surrounding environment. Additionally, the properties of the particle itself, such as its mass and shape, can also affect its magnitude and angle of direction.