Magnitude and direction of net force acting on a charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net force acting on q1, one of four fixed charges arranged in a 4 m by 5 m rectangle. The equation used is Coulomb's Law, and the steps for solving the problem are outlined. However, the final answer does not match the expected result of 14.58 N at an angle of 143.11 degrees. The issue may lie in understanding Coulomb's Law and the concept of force exerted by one charge on another.
thatguythere

Homework Statement

Four charges,
q1 = +195 µC, q2 = +60 µC, q3 = −145 µC, and q4 = +21 µC,
are fixed at the corners of a 4 m by 5 m rectangle, as illustrated in the figure below. What are the magnitude and the direction of the net force acting on q1? (Assume the x-axis extends from q1 to the right.)

q3--------------------q2
| |
| |
| |
q4--------------------q1

Homework Equations

F = k q1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have followed the steps outlined here. http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....lectrostatics_AdvancedCoulombsLawProblems.xml

For Fq1q2 I get 26.30N
Fq1q4 I get 5.89N
and for Fq1q3 I get 24.82

I proceed to chart it as shown F X Y
q1q2 0 -26.30
q1q4 5.89 0
q1q3 24.82cos135°=-17.55 24.82sin135°=17.55
-11.66 8.75

Then F = sqr.rt(-11.66)^2+(8.75)^2
=14.58

Then a=tan-1|8.75 /-11.66|
=-36.89
θ=180-36.89
=143.11°

Neither of which are the proper answers apparently. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectangle is 4 by 5, so diagonal is not at 45o angle

The problems are different. Do you understand what Coulomb's Law states? What is the magnitude and the direction of a force, one charge exerts on an other one?

ehild

What is the definition of net force acting on a charge?

The net force acting on a charge is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the charge. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

How is the magnitude of net force on a charge calculated?

The magnitude of the net force on a charge is calculated using the formula Fnet = qE + qv x B, where q is the charge of the object, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the object, and B is the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between net force and charge?

The net force acting on a charge is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge. This means that as the charge increases, the net force also increases.

How does the direction of the net force on a charge affect its motion?

The direction of the net force on a charge determines the direction of its acceleration. If the net force is in the same direction as the velocity, the charge will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the charge will slow down or change direction.

What factors can affect the magnitude and direction of net force on a charge?

The magnitude and direction of net force on a charge can be affected by the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, the velocity of the object, and the charge of the object. Additionally, the relative position and orientation of the charge with respect to the fields can also impact the net force.