Magnitude and direction a uniform magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a proton moving perpendicularly to a magnetic field and experiencing acceleration. The individual is seeking help in determining the magnitude and direction of the field and is reminded to use the right hand rule. They later realize their mistake in using the wrong value for the mass of the proton.
physics_ash82
magnetism

Hi I'm stuck on this problem I its got to be something simple.Here goes...

A proton moves perpendicularly to a uniform magnetic field B at 1.0x10^7 m/s and exhibits an acceleration of 2.0x10^13m/s^2 in the + x-direction when its velocity is in the + z-direction. Determine the magnitude and direction of the field.

I have been trying to use B= F/qvsin(theta)
theta = 1
q = 1.6x10^-19

and then I have the problem :blushing: So any other help would be useful thankx

ash

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the use of the right hand rule and think it through. If our not to secure with that and you aregood at vectors math, try working out the cross products and such. If your still stuck let us know what's up.

P.S; the magnitude is given.

The right hand rule is a great tool if used. Try to use it to work out the problem, it makes things so much simpler.

Thanx

I figured it out I was using the right formula and had forgotten that the mass of the proton is 1.67x10^-27 and I was using the charge which was 1.6 x10^-19.. but thank you for the idea on right hand rule that helped with the 2nd part.

ash:smile:

What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points in a given region. This means that the field lines are equally spaced and parallel, creating a consistent force on any magnetic object placed within the field.

How is a uniform magnetic field created?

A uniform magnetic field can be created by passing an electrical current through a long straight wire, creating a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the wire. It can also be created using a pair of magnets with opposite poles facing each other.

What is the magnitude of a uniform magnetic field?

The magnitude of a uniform magnetic field is measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G) and represents the strength of the field at a specific point. For example, the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of approximately 0.5 gauss.

How can the direction of a uniform magnetic field be determined?

The direction of a uniform magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic force on a positively charged particle. The particle will experience a force that is perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule.

What are some real-life applications of a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field and in compasses for navigation.