1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and direction

1. Mar 1, 2006 #1

Hi I'm stuck on this problem I its got to be something simple.Here goes....

A proton moves perpendicularly to a uniform magnetic field B at 1.0x10^7 m/s and exhibits an acceleration of 2.0x10^13m/s^2 in the + x-direction when its velocity is in the + z-direction. Determine the magnitude and direction of the field.

I have been trying to use B= F/qvsin(theta)
    theta = 1
    q = 1.6x10^-19

and then I have the problem :blushing: So any other help would be useful thankx

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2006 #2
    Think about the use of the right hand rule and think it through. If our not to secure with that and you aregood at vectors math, try working out the cross products and such. If your still stuck let us know what's up.

P.S; the magnitude is given.
  4. Mar 1, 2006 #3
    The right hand rule is a great tool if used. Try to use it to work out the problem, it makes things so much simpler.
  5. Mar 2, 2006 #4

I figured it out I was using the right formula and had forgotten that the mass of the proton is 1.67x10^-27 and I was using the charge which was 1.6 x10^-19.. but thank you for the idea on right hand rule that helped with the 2nd part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?