Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnitude and direction

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1
    My problem is to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force FR=F1+F2 and it's direction, measured counterclockwise from the positive x direction.

f1=250 lb @ 60 degrees from x
    f2= 375 lb @ -45 degrees from x

Ok I got the magnitude by doing this:
    (360-2(255))/2=-75 degrees

fr=sqroot of (250^2+375^2-2(250)(375)cos(75)
    fr=393.188~ 393

then I got the angle by this:
    375/sin x = 393.188/sin 75
    x=67.1088
    how do i get the resultant angle, what do I need to add to the 67 degrees?

============ Forum Options ============= Teachers / Educators Forum -- Teacher & Educator Discussion General Physics & Astronomy Forum -- General Physics Discussion -- General Astronomy Discussion High-School Students Forum -- General High-School Discussion -- Homework Discussion Undergrad / College Students Forum -- General Undergrad / College Discussion -- Homework Discussion Grad Students / Postdocs Forum -- General Grad School & Postdoc Discussion Professional / Industrial Physics Forum -- Industrial Physics & Business Discussion -- University Faculty Discussion Special Topics Forum -- Physics, Philosophy & Religion -- Physics, Politics & Ethics ============= Other Options =============== ======================================== --- Log In --- Register --- Search

Forum Home | Back to PhysLink.com | Contact the Webmaster | Terms & Conditions of Use

Copyright © 2003 - PhysLink.com