1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and direction

1. Jan 26, 2004 #1
    My problem is to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force FR=F1+F2 and it's direction, measured counterclockwise from the positive x direction.

f1=250 lb @ 60 degrees from x
    f2= 375 lb @ -45 degrees from x

Ok I got the magnitude by doing this:
    (360-2(255))/2=-75 degrees

fr=sqroot of (250^2+375^2-2(250)(375)cos(75)
    fr=393.188~ 393

then I got the angle by this:
    375/sin x = 393.188/sin 75
    how do i get the resultant angle, what do I need to add to the 67 degrees?

============ Forum Options ============= Teachers / Educators Forum -- Teacher & Educator Discussion General Physics & Astronomy Forum -- General Physics Discussion -- General Astronomy Discussion High-School Students Forum -- General High-School Discussion -- Homework Discussion Undergrad / College Students Forum -- General Undergrad / College Discussion -- Homework Discussion Grad Students / Postdocs Forum -- General Grad School & Postdoc Discussion Professional / Industrial Physics Forum -- Industrial Physics & Business Discussion -- University Faculty Discussion Special Topics Forum -- Physics, Philosophy & Religion -- Physics, Politics & Ethics ============= Other Options =============== ======================================== --- Log In --- Register --- Search

Forum Home | Back to PhysLink.com | Contact the Webmaster | Terms & Conditions of Use

Copyright © 2003 - PhysLink.com