Interpreting Velocity Components in a Non-Head On Collision

In summary, the conversation is about interpreting a homework question regarding a collision between two balls along the x-axis. The question asks about the y-component of each velocity after the collision and the answer provided states that the final vertical components of the two balls must add up to zero. The question then focuses on the magnitude and direction of the velocities, with the clarification that no numerical values are given. The final response suggests considering the equal mass of the two balls and the resulting y-component of their velocities.
twofish
Hi all,
I'm new here and am having a problem interpreting a homework question, hope i can explain it correctly.
The question is below.

"One ball goes along the x-axis and collides with a stationary ball of equal mass in a collision that is not head on. How does the y component of each velocity compare afterwards? Give both magnitude and direction."

My answer thus far is;
"When ball A is rolling along the x-axis there is no initial vertical momentum or y component, therefore the vector sum of the final vertical (Y) components of the two balls must be zero. "

What's got me hung up is the magnitude and direction part of the question.
Since I'm not really given any numbers to work with I'm unsure how to answer the second part of the question.
Can I assume that they are looking for the magnitude of the velocity, in which case I would answer v`a = (p`a)/(ma) for ball a, and similar for ball b.
Or do they want the magnitude of the vectors, in which case I would have to incorporate cos θ = (p`a)/p` and sin θ = (p`b)/p`
Thanks,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're absolutely right that the y-component of the momentum must be zero. Now - you have two balls of equal mass. What can you say about the y-component of their velocities (both the magnitude and the direction) if the y-momentum is to cancel out? Note: You won't be able to give a numeric answer for the speeds, but you can say how they compare. Hint hint.

Last edited:
Hrm ..okie, well I'll try working that angle.
Thanks much!

1. What is magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction are two components used to describe the vector quantity of an object's motion or force. Magnitude refers to the size or amount of the vector, while direction indicates the line along which the vector is acting.

2. How is magnitude and direction represented?

Magnitude and direction can be represented using a vector diagram, where the length of the vector represents the magnitude and the angle of the vector represents the direction. They can also be represented using mathematical equations and units.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and speed?

Magnitude and speed both refer to the size or amount of a quantity, but they are used in different contexts. Magnitude is typically used to describe the size of a vector quantity, while speed refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. The direction of a vector can be calculated using trigonometry, where the angle of the vector is equal to the inverse tangent of the vector's vertical component divided by its horizontal component.

5. Why is it important to understand magnitude and direction in science?

Magnitude and direction are important in science because they allow us to accurately describe and analyze the motion and forces of objects. They help us understand how objects move and interact with one another, and are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.