Calculating Wind Velocity: Solving for Magnitude and Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in determining the magnitude and direction of the wind's velocity using the given information. The speaker suggests drawing a diagram to visualize the velocity vectors and proposes a potential answer of 261 km/h [E7,5°S]. They also mention the possibility of needing more information to accurately solve the problem.
Chocolaty
I just can't figure out how to determine the magnitude and direction of the wind's velocity with this information, the combinasons of possibilities seem endless.

An airplane traveling at a cruising velocity of 1000 km/h is headed south toward a destination of 1500 km away. In order to maintain its southward heading, the airplane must travel on a course [S15°W].

Determine the magnitude and direction of the wind's velocity.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try drawing a diagram of the velocity vectors on a coordinate system to visualize what's going on.

I'm coming up with 261 km/h [E7,5°S]

I'm not too sure about this answer though, can anyone tell me if I'm right or not?

add two of the vectors and see if you come up with the third

I'm not too sure why they give you the 1500km away, unless there's more to the question. I'm sorry if my diagram is rudimentary.

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 359

1. What is magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction, also known as vector quantity, is the measurement of both the size and direction of a physical quantity. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How is magnitude and direction used in science?

Magnitude and direction is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and geology. It is used to describe the motion and forces acting on objects, as well as the velocity and acceleration of objects.

3. How is magnitude and direction different from magnitude alone?

Magnitude alone refers to the numerical value of a physical quantity, while magnitude and direction refers to both the numerical value and the direction in which the quantity is acting. For example, the speed of a car can be described as 60 km/h (magnitude alone) or 60 km/h north (magnitude and direction).

4. Can magnitude and direction be negative?

Yes, magnitude and direction can be negative. This usually applies to quantities that can have both positive and negative values, such as velocity or force. A negative direction indicates that the vector is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

5. How is magnitude and direction represented mathematically?

Magnitude and direction can be represented mathematically using vectors. Vectors are represented by a length and an angle, where the length represents the magnitude and the angle represents the direction. They can also be represented using coordinates, such as x and y coordinates in a Cartesian plane.