1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of a Base

1. Feb 4, 2004 #1
    The base of a solid is a circle of radius a, and its vertical cross sections are equilateral triangles. Find the radius of the circle if the volume of the solid is 10 cubic meters.

Eq. Triangle: A = [sqrt(3)/4]s^2
    V = [sqrt(3)/4]*Integral{-a to a} 4(a^2 - x^2) dx

V = 2* [sqrt(3)*Integral{0 to a} (a^2 - x^2) ]dx

What next?
    (Do I use x^2+y^2=a^2 somewhere?)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would use the fact that the base is a circle then use disks, integrating over the height to get the volume.

[tex] V= \int \pi r^2 dh =10[/tex]

Since the cross section is an equilateral it is easy to come up with the relationship between h and r, the limits of integration would be from 0 to x. Solve for x to get the height of the cone. Use the relationship between h and r to get the radius.

4. Feb 5, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that Roary DID exactly what Integral is suggesting: that was how he got the integral as he did.

To answer Roary's question: "(Do I use x^2+y^2=a^2 somewhere?)"
    Actually, you already have when you wrote the square of the base of the triangle as a^2- x^2. What you HAVEN'T used is the fact that the volume is 10 cubic centimeters.

What do you do next? You have V = 2* [sqrt(3)*Integral{0 to a} (a^2 - x^2) ]dx so go ahead and evaluate that, then set it equal to 10 and solve for a.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?