Magnitude of acceleration of electron in electric field

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the acceleration of an electron in an electric field. The given information includes the electron's velocity, the length of the parallel plate capacitor, the time, and the mass and charge of the electric field. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem using kinematics and has gotten conflicting answers. They are unsure of what else to do.
Spectre32
Ok real simple and easy, but yet i get the wrong answer. The question states: Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the electron while in the electric field. You are givin the Velocity: 3e6 m/s the lengeth of the parelle plate capicator .1m and the time 3.33e-8 secs. there is alos info given around the mass and the charge of the uniform electric field. Mass= 9.1e-31 and electric field is = 200 N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all,

please show us what you have done so far. Second- your question is very poorly worded... why don't you type it EXACTLY how it is written.
Third, I get two different answers depending on whether I do the problem using kinematics (constant acceleration equations) or using qE=ma. Tells me something is amiss.

Well i used the velocity to figure out the time. Then i used kinematics and i got something way off. I know of nothing else to do.

What exactly are you given in the problem... not anything you derived.

1. What is the magnitude of acceleration of an electron in an electric field?

The magnitude of acceleration of an electron in an electric field depends on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the electron. It can be calculated using the equation a = qE/m, where a is the acceleration, q is the charge of the electron, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How does the magnitude of acceleration of an electron change in different electric fields?

The magnitude of acceleration of an electron is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that as the electric field becomes stronger, the acceleration of the electron also increases. Similarly, a weaker electric field will result in a smaller acceleration for the electron.

3. Can the magnitude of acceleration of an electron be negative in an electric field?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration of an electron can be negative in an electric field. This occurs when the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electron's velocity. In this case, the electron will experience a deceleration or negative acceleration.

4. What is the significance of the magnitude of acceleration of an electron in an electric field?

The magnitude of acceleration of an electron in an electric field is significant because it determines the speed and direction of the electron's movement. It also plays a crucial role in various phenomena, such as the movement of charged particles in a circuit, the behavior of electrons in a cathode ray tube, and the acceleration of particles in particle accelerators.

5. How does the mass of an electron affect the magnitude of acceleration in an electric field?

The mass of an electron does not have a significant effect on the magnitude of acceleration in an electric field. This is because the mass of an electron is very small compared to the charge, and the electric field strength is the dominant factor in determining the acceleration of the electron. However, the mass does affect the overall velocity of the electron, as a larger mass will result in a slower acceleration for a given electric field strength.