1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Acceleration

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the magnitude of the acceleration of a falling sky diver (mass 62.5kg including parachute) when the upward force of air resistance is equal to one fourth of her weight?

so i know that Fnet=ma but since i do not know what either the Fnet or the a is i have no idea on how to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The force from gravity is the skydiver's weight. The air resistance opposes her weight, therefore the resultant force is the weight minus the resistance. I'm sure you can get acceleration from there.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    ok so i tried doing her weight, 62.5 - (62.5/4) and that was wrong and then someone had told me to use gravity with this also so i tried 62.5(9.8)-((62.5*9.8)/4) and that was wrong as well. where am i going wrong?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Weight and mass are distinct. Weight is mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. The second part of your work has calculated the net force. The question asks for acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?