1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Acceleration

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    hey guys, im having trouble on 1 problem on my physics homework and was wondering if someone can help me and get me started.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 63-kg person on skis is going down a hill sloped at 30° from the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the skis and the snow is 0.19. What would be the magnitude of the acceleration?

i have no idea where to start, looked all around my physics book but cant seem to find anything, any help would be great. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Start by drawing a free body diagram. What forces are present? Do you know Newton's second law? That MUST be in your textbook somewhere. Show us what you come up with.

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    Hi,

First: draw a diagram of the scene.
    Second: mark on all the forces using arrows
    Third resolve the forces either horizontally and vertically OR parallel and perpendicular to the slope

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers

5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    thanks for the quick reply, ill work on it and post my result in a bit

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?