1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnitude of acceleration

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    Really desperate for some help with this, Thought i had i cracked and quite clearly i don't
    Im very bad with explaining how i arrived at a answer as i make such a mess of my answers and some time just guess as i can't seem to figure it out! Please help
    . What is the magnitude of the acceleration that this force will cause when applied to a car with a mass of 1.1x10³Kg

Then calculate the final speed of the car (above) assuming that it was standing still initially and that the force of 5.0 x 10³ N is applied for 6.0s

Why would the car take longer to reach the calculated speed if the car's mass was 1.4 x10³Kg. which part of newtons second law would explain this.

THANKS in advance .

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say flower, why don't you write out the equation for Newton's 2nd law, and the kinematic motion equations, and play around with them for a few minutes, and see what you get. Please show your work and post your results. Then someone will check it for you and provide further assistance.

4. Mar 24, 2010 #3
    As my mechanics teacher always says - Write down what you know first.

Force (F) =
    Time (t) =
    Mass (m) =
    Initial Speed (u) =

You know what all the above are, so fill them in.

Acceleration (a) =
    Final Speed (v) =

What equations can you think of relating the 4 above quantities with the above 2 values? As Jay said, think suvat (the one without s as you don't know that) and Newton's 2nd law.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook