Calculating Acceleration and Final Speed of a Car with a Given Force and Mass

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help with calculating the acceleration and final speed of a car. They struggle with explaining their process and often guess at the answers. They ask for assistance and are advised to use the equations for Newton's second law and kinematic motion. They are also prompted to fill in the known values for force, time, mass, and initial speed before using the equations. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the car having a different mass and how that would affect the time it takes to reach the calculated speed.
flower123
Really desperate for some help with this, Thought i had i cracked and quite clearly i don't
Im very bad with explaining how i arrived at a answer as i make such a mess of my answers and some time just guess as i can't seem to figure it out! Please help
. What is the magnitude of the acceleration that this force will cause when applied to a car with a mass of 1.1x10³Kg

Then calculate the final speed of the car (above) assuming that it was standing still initially and that the force of 5.0 x 10³ N is applied for 6.0s

Why would the car take longer to reach the calculated speed if the car's mass was 1.4 x10³Kg. which part of Newtons second law would explain this.

THANKS in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
Say flower, why don't you write out the equation for Newton's 2nd law, and the kinematic motion equations, and play around with them for a few minutes, and see what you get. Please show your work and post your results. Then someone will check it for you and provide further assistance.

As my mechanics teacher always says - Write down what you know first.

Force (F) =
Time (t) =
Mass (m) =
Initial Speed (u) =

You know what all the above are, so fill them in.

Acceleration (a) =
Final Speed (v) =

What equations can you think of relating the 4 above quantities with the above 2 values? As Jay said, think suvat (the one without s as you don't know that) and Newton's 2nd law.

What is the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared (m/s^2).

How is magnitude of acceleration calculated?

Magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between magnitude of acceleration and acceleration?

Acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity, while magnitude of acceleration specifically refers to the numerical value of that change. For example, if an object's velocity increases from 0 m/s to 10 m/s in 5 seconds, the acceleration is 2 m/s^2 and the magnitude of acceleration is also 2 m/s^2.

How does magnitude of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of acceleration determines how quickly an object's velocity changes, which in turn affects its motion. A higher magnitude of acceleration will result in a greater change in velocity over time, causing the object to speed up or slow down more quickly.

What factors can affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration can be affected by factors such as the force applied to an object, the object's mass, and any opposing forces (such as friction) that may be acting on the object. The direction of the acceleration can also affect its magnitude.