1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Charges

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the magbitude of charges

Lenght of string - 50 cm
    mass of balls - 0.2 grams
    theeta - 37 degrees

2. Relevant equations

K-8.99x10^9

3. The attempt at a solution

I found that half the distance between the balls is 15.9 cm but i dont know how to continue

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    Okay, first, the balls will try to move toward one another because of the combined force of gravity and tension of the string, you should calculate the force vectors on the balls and figure out the horizontal component of the forces that drives the balls to move toward one another. This force, however, failed to move the balls because an equal and opposite force is acting on each ball that is pushing them away, and this force is the electromagnetic repulsion. You find the magnitude of that force and use the equation (I don't which one but you should have learnt it) to calculate the charge based on distance between charges and the amount of repulsion. Ask for clarification iyou want.

4. Sep 6, 2015 #3
    These are all of the available equations but i dont know which one to use.I uploaded an image

Attached Files:

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4
    force between point charge. You know the force and the distance, the charges should be a piece of cake to find.

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    My final answer is 5.57^-15 can you confirm please?

7. Sep 6, 2015 #6
    That is what I got too, but worship no authority!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted