1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of current induced

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    . A circular coil of radius 5.0 cm and resistance 0.20 Ω is placed in a uniform magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The magnitude of the field changes with time according to B = 0.50e-20t T. What is the magnitude of the current induced in the coil at the time t = 2.0 s?

2. Relevant equations

Φ = BAcos(0) = BA
    emf = -dΦB /dt = -d(BA)/dt = -A * d(B)/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I differentiated that magnetic field and got -10e-20t, then multiplied that times pi*(.052), and ultimately divided by .2 Ω. My answer is 1.66*1018, which is nowhere near any of the answers. I feel like I'm following a logical path but obviously this isn't working, so I don't know what else to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

Your mistake is that you dont take into account the self inductance L of the coil. It will be [itex] E+L\frac{dI}{dt}+IR=0[/itex] where E(t) exactly as you calculated and R=0.2Ohm. You still have to calculate L from the geometrical data of the coil and then solve the differential equation. In doing that becareful that E is not constant but varies with time as of course the current I(t) do so also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted