1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of displacement

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.jpg
    Compute the magnitude of the displacement ([itex]\vec{}R[/itex] and the angle with respect to the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A = 10m * sin30° [itex]\hat{}y[/itex]+ 10m * cos30° [itex]\hat{}x[/itex]

[itex]\vec{}A[/itex] = 5m [itex]\hat{}y[/itex] + 8.66m [itex]\hat{}x[/itex]

B = 15m

C = 20m * sin80° [itex]\hat{}x[/itex] + 20m * cos80° [itex]\hat{}y[/itex]

[itex]\vec{}R[/itex] = [itex]\hat{}A[/itex] + [itex]\hat{}B[/itex] + [itex]\hat{}C[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{}R[/itex] = √(43.36m)2 + (1.58m)2 = 64.34m

tanθ = 43.36/1.58
    = 87°

Is this correct? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your breakdown of Vector C isn't quite right.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Thanks.. Would it just be 20m * cos80° in the y-direction and none in the x-dir?

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

No, not if that's 80 degrees to the horizontal. Unless a vector lies exactly along the x (or y) axis, it must resolve into both x and y components.

6. Dec 11, 2011 #5
    I noticed I'm missing a negative in the y direction, but how will I correctly break it into its components? I can make a triangle from the dotted line to the bottom arrow of C, but I'm not so sure of what to use.

7. Dec 11, 2011 #6

NascentOxygen

To make it easier to visualize, in your rough working (which only you see) draw the angle so that it's more like 70 degrees than 80 so you have more space on the paper to work with. Then construct that triangle you spoke of, and determine the lengths of its vert and horiz sides.

There is more amiss than the missing - sign.

8. Dec 11, 2011 #7
    draw the triangle on the inside of the picture? I am so losttt :cry:

9. Dec 11, 2011 #8

NascentOxygen

Vector C is almost vertical, so when you break it into its components, the longest of these components is going to be the vertical one. Check that you have this correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook