Magnitude of electric field by a curved rod.

In summary, the electric field at point P is due to a charge at angle A and has a magnitude of 1.49e6 N/C.
Carcar8

Homework Statement

http://i39.tinypic.com/qsp1rr.jpg
Determine the magnitude of the electric field at point P.

Homework Equations

lambba=(q/l)
Length of arc = (radius)(radians)

There's another equation with a sin60 in it that gives the answer, but I forgot what it is...

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried getting lambda by diving the charge 8e-6C by the length of the arc, .418m, then put that in this equation:
[(lambda)/(4piEo)]int(1/r^s) but that didn't give me the right answer, which is 1.49e6 N/C upwards.

I know the answer and most of the information, I just don't know what equation to apply to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the charged part supposed to be circular in shape? And of uniform charge density per unit length? If not, you can't do it!

You must consider a small element of length on the arc - dL,
with charge dQ = lambda*dL.
Sketch the electric field vector due to this charge at the point P. Write an expression for its magnitude. Use symmetry to decide what component of this dE will not be canceled out by a similar dQ at the opposite angle, and write an expression for this component - with a sine or cos of an angle in it. Finally, integrate over the length of the charge to sum up all the dE contributions to the total E.

http://i42.tinypic.com/s4nddw.jpg

I attempted this first but got the wrong answer and veered off to a wrong direction trying weird equations, but with your help I tried it again and got the right answer.

Thanks for the help.

That isn't right - say dQ is at angle A. Then you'll have a sin(A) in your integral and A varies so it can't be taken through the integral sign.

Erm, sin(A) isn't in the integral at all?

Does that mean the sin 60 shouldn't be in there at all?

Should I treat it as a straight rod then?

The sin(A) IS in the integral. You can't take it out. You must integrate from -60 to +60 degrees and all that.

What is the magnitude of the electric field on a point due to a curved rod?

The magnitude of the electric field on a point due to a curved rod depends on the distance between the point and the rod, as well as the length and curvature of the rod itself. It can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the rod, and r is the distance between the point and the rod.

How does the magnitude of the electric field on a point change as the distance from the rod increases?

As the distance from the rod increases, the magnitude of the electric field decreases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases by a factor of 1/r^2 as the distance increases. Therefore, the farther away a point is from the rod, the weaker the electric field will be.

Does the curvature of the rod affect the magnitude of the electric field on a point?

Yes, the curvature of the rod does affect the magnitude of the electric field on a point. The electric field is stronger at points that are closer to the curved part of the rod, and weaker at points that are farther away. This is because the curvature of the rod causes the electric field lines to be closer together, resulting in a higher electric field strength.

How does the charge on the rod affect the magnitude of the electric field on a point?

The charge on the rod directly affects the magnitude of the electric field on a point. The greater the charge on the rod, the stronger the electric field will be at any given distance. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the rod, according to the equation E = kQ/r^2.

Is the magnitude of the electric field on a point the same at all points along the rod?

No, the magnitude of the electric field on a point will vary at different points along the rod. This is because the electric field is affected by factors such as distance, curvature, and charge, which can differ at different points along the rod. However, the magnitude of the electric field will be the same at points that are equidistant from the rod and have the same charge and curvature.