Magnitude of Electric Field

In summary, an electron is accelerated vertically upward in a field and the magnitude of the field is 1/4*pi*e_o*|q|/r^2.
stylez03

Homework Statement

An electron is released from rest in a uniform electric field. The electron accelerates vertically upward, traveling 4.50 m in the first 3.00\;\mu{\rm s} after it is released.

What is the magnitude of the electric field?

Homework Equations

F = 1/4*pi*e_o * |q| / r^2 for single point charge

e_o = 8.85 * 10^-12

Mass of electron = 9.109 * 10 ^-31

The Attempt at a Solution

1/(4*pi*8.85 * 10^-12) * ( |9.109 * 10 ^-31| / (4.50)^2 )

The online system said the solution was incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note the problem hints at an acceleration; you'll need to calculate the aveage acceleration of the particle, and then use Newton's second law to relate it to the force applied by the field. You need to account for another force here too; do you know what it is? Then you need an equation that relates the net force to both charge and electric field. As an aside, your first equation gives the force between two point charges, which is not the situation here, and in any case it is incorrect as written.

Can anyone answer my tension/friction question, please.

Can you list the equations that's necessary? I'm not sure which equations you're talking about. Thank you

The electric part of the Lorentz force, and Newton's second law.

marcusl said:
The electric part of the Lorentz force, and Newton's second law.

I'm no familiar with Lorentz force, the section we're in is introduction to Electricity and the only equation I've seen so far is Coulomb's Law.

F = k*|q1|*|q2| / r^2

If you could start me off with an equation that would be most helpful. I can't see where I have to go with the givens I have so far.

The electric Lorentz force is
F=q*E
in SI units.

So we have the particle traveling 0.45m in the first 3us and you said I had to find the average acceleration?

Velocity = 4.50m / 0.000003 seconds = 1.5*10^6 m/s

Now we have to take the avg. acceleration which should be the change in velocity divided by the change in time? Would that just be that solution divided by 3us again to obtain that value?

You need to take a look in your book. The formula relating distance to acceleration and time is
x=0.5*a*t^2
Did you find it? Make sense?
Suggest you ask your teacher for some help.

Makes sense, I just got it! Thanks again. It's been a very long time since I've done kinematics.

What is the magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a particular point in space. It is typically represented by the symbol "E" and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is the magnitude of electric field calculated?

The magnitude of electric field is calculated by dividing the electric force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge itself. It can also be calculated by using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of electric field is directly proportional to the product of the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the vicinity.

How does the magnitude of electric field relate to electric potential?

The magnitude of electric field is related to electric potential by the equation E = -dV/dx, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and x is the distance in the direction of the electric field. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.

Why is the magnitude of electric field important?

The magnitude of electric field is important because it determines the force that a charged object will experience in an electric field. It also plays a crucial role in many electrical phenomena, such as the flow of current and the behavior of electronic devices.