1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of Force

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A force was used to push a 10 kg object through a distance of 11 metres. Its speed was initially 2 m/s, and was increased to 5.2 m/s at the end of the 11 metres. What was the magnitude of the force?"

2. Relevant equations
    Ek = 1/2 mv^2
    W = fd?

3. The attempt at a solution

Initial kinetic energy was 20, final = 143. 123 J of work went into the system. Unsure of what to do from here, or if that was the correct approach. We're reviewing "work and energy" chapter in class, so I would assume it would be along those lines. multiple choice options are 10.5 N, 115 N, 230 N, 23 N.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You know the amount of work that was done and you know the distance the force acted to do that work.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Oops. I see my mistake, I was dividing 123 by 11, 143 J at 5.2m/s isnt correct, it's actually 135. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook