1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of initial acceleration

1. Mar 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform rod of length 1.15m is attached to a frictionless pivot at one end. It is released from rest an angle theta=17.0 degrees above the horizontal.

Find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the rod's center of mass

2. Relevant equations

torque=moment of inertia*angular acceleration
    torque=length*force(perpendicular)

I=1/3 ML^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I set the torque about pivot equal to the moment of inertia about pivot times the angular acceleration to find the angular acceleration. Then I found the linear acceleration by multiplying the found angular acceleration by the length of rod. So my work was....

L/2*(Mg)cos17=1/3*ML^2*(angular acceleration)
    3/2*(g/L)*cos17=(angular acceleration)
    12.22 rad/s^2= (angular acceleration)

a=(angular acceleration)*L= 14.05 m/s^2

However the answer I got is wrong. (Unfortunately, I do not have access to the correct answer) What step did I miss?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

...... L/2*(Mg)cos17=1/3*ML^2*(angular acceleration)

This should be the sin not the cos.

The com will then experience only a tangential acceleration:

[tex]a_t = r \alpha[/tex]

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    I replaced the cos with the sin17 in my equation and I just tried to solve but I was told my answer was wrong. And I did exactly what you suggested. I wonder why that was wrong? Did I need to do something else?

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Have you used the correct angle ? 17 deg above the horizontal is 90 + 17 from the vertical.

6. Mar 14, 2007 #5

hage567

Homework Helper

If you are trying to find the tangential acceleration of the centre of mass, wouldn't it be [tex]a_t = \alpha(L/2)[/tex], since the centre of mass will be at half the length of a uniform rod? Just a thought.

7. Mar 14, 2007 #6
    Mentz114, thank you for mentioning that! I looked through some notes and saw I need to add 90 degrees. However, I just redid the problem, using the info you told me and what andrevdh told me, and oddly enough, I got the same answer!

hage567, I will try to find the initial acceleration with L/2 instead of L.

8. Mar 14, 2007 #7
    Thanks everyone, I got the right answer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?