Magnitude of magnetic force

In summary, the magnetic force on the centermost 1.0-cm segment of a rectangular loop of wire measuring 1.0 m by 1.0 cm, with a 7.0-A current flowing through it, is approximately 9.8x10^-8. This is derived using the formula Fm = ILBsin of angle, where I is the electric current, L is the length of the conductor, and B is the magnetic field intensity. However, this formula is only an approximation for an infinitely long wire and may not be completely accurate for this problem.
swankymotor16
A rectangular loop of wire measures 1.0 m by 1.0 cm. If a 7.0-A current flows through the wire, what is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the centermost 1.0-cm segment of the 1.0-m side of the loop?

Fm = ILBsin of angle

Fm = Magnetic force

I= Electric current

L= Length of conductor

B= magnetic field intensity

B= (4∏x10^-7)(7.0A)/(2∏)(0.01m) = 1.4x10^-8

Fm= (7.0A)(1.0m)(1.4x10^-8)= 9.8x10_8

my final answer is 9.8X10^-8, IS THIS CORRECT? PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
swankymotor16 said:
A rectangular loop of wire measures 1.0 m by 1.0 cm. If a 7.0-A current flows through the wire, what is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the centermost 1.0-cm segment of the 1.0-m side of the loop?Fm = ILBsin of angle

Fm = Magnetic force

I= Electric current

L= Length of conductor

B= magnetic field intensity

B= (4∏x10^-7)(7.0A)/(2∏)(0.01m) = 1.4x10^-8
(Don't forget your units.)

That's a pretty good approximation. The formula which you used for B, can be derived using Ampere's law (Edit: or you could use calculus + Biot-Savart law), is only really valid for an infinitely long wire. But since we're dealing with a distance to the wire being much, much shorter than the wire itself, it makes a fine approximation. (If you wanted to get more precise, you'd have some calculus to do. But I'm guessing the approximation is fine for this problem.) :approve:
Fm= (7.0A)(1.0m)(1.4x10^-8)= 9.8x10_8

my final answer is 9.8X10^-8, IS THIS CORRECT? PLEASE HELP!
(Again, don't forget your units.)

Hold on, the problem statement said,
"magnetic force on the centermost 1.0-cm segment"​
It's not asking for the force on the entire 1 meter wire. It's just asking for a force on the center-most 1 centimeter segment of the 1 m wire.

Last edited:

1. What is the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is a measure of the strength of the force between two magnetic objects or particles. It is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the objects.

2. How is the magnitude of magnetic force calculated?

The magnitude of magnetic force can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. Does the magnitude of magnetic force depend on the type of material?

Yes, the magnitude of magnetic force can vary depending on the type of material. Some materials, such as iron, have a higher magnetic susceptibility and will experience stronger magnetic forces.

4. Can the magnitude of magnetic force be increased or decreased?

Yes, the magnitude of magnetic force can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or the charge of the particle. It can also be decreased by increasing the distance between the objects or decreasing the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems, particle accelerators, and compasses.