1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of momentum of an object to ensure the combined masses will be stationary?

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    Three objects travel. Object P (4 kg) travels downward at 8.3 m/s. Object Q (2 kg) travels to the east at 7.2 m/s. Another object (R) is traveling at them from the south east corner.

What is the magnitude of the momentum of object R so that the combined masses remain
    stationary after they collide?

I figured out that you simply create a triangle of the momentums, finding that 36 is the magnitude of the momentum of object R as the right answer. However, I don't really get what I did completely. Is it because this triangle represents conservation of momentum? Isn't the object R coming from the south east a seperate factor? As in, as the hypotenuse of the triangle, doesn't it represent final momentum....?

Little confused here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Re: Magnitude of momentum of an object to ensure the combined masses will be stationa

Momentum is a vector, and the rules for adding and subtracting vectors will be helpful here. A vector pointing to the southeast can rewritten as the sum of a vector pointing to the south and another vector pointing to the east.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook