Magnitude of Momentum, relative to the center of mass

In summary, the two particles, one having a mass of 4.39 g and the other having a mass of 9.64 g, are moving towards each other with speeds of 4.15 m/s and 0 m/s respectively. The heavier particle approaches the center of mass of the two particles with a speed of 1.29854 m/s. The magnitude of the momentum of the lighter particle, relative to the center of mass, is 0.006402 Ns. The velocity of the lighter particle with respect to the center of mass should be calculated in order to find the correct answer for part (b).
gap0063

Homework Statement

A 4.39 g particle is moving at 4.15 m/s toward a stationary 9.64 g particle.

(a)With what speed does the heavier particle approach the center of mass of the two particles?
Answer in units of m/s.

(b) What is the magnitude of the momentum of the lighter particle, relative to the center of mass?
Answer in units of Ns.

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2

and

P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a) by using m1v1+m2v2/m1+m2
where v2 is zero

so I got 1.29854 m/s which is right (this is a online homework assignment)

for part (b) I thought it was the mass of m1= 4.39 g= 0.00439 kg

and I times it by the speed I found from part (a) but the number I'm getting isn't right (0.006402 Ns)

so what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the speed of the centre of mass with respect to the ground. Calculate the velocity of the lighter particle with respect to the centre of mass.

ehild

ehild said:
You found the speed of the centre of mass with respect to the ground. Calculate the velocity of the lighter particle with respect to the centre of mass.

ehild

oh yes, thanks!

What is the magnitude of momentum?

The magnitude of momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum related to the center of mass?

The momentum of an object is relative to its reference point, which is often taken as the center of mass of the object. The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed, and it is the average location of all the mass in the object.

What is the importance of momentum relative to the center of mass?

Momentum relative to the center of mass is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object without being affected by external forces. This is especially useful in situations where there are multiple objects interacting with each other, as it simplifies the analysis of their motion.

How is the magnitude of momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This means that the initial momentum of a system is equal to the final momentum, even if there are external forces acting on the system.

How does the magnitude of momentum affect collisions?

The magnitude of momentum plays a crucial role in collisions. In a completely elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision will be the same. In an inelastic collision, where there is a loss of energy, the total momentum of the system will still be conserved, but it may be distributed differently among the objects involved.