Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of space debris

1. Feb 22, 2011 #1
    Dear all,
    I'm new here and I'm sorry if my problem has already been discussed anywhere else.
    I have some problems in determining the magnitude of space debris as a function of their dimension and distance.
    I have to find the visual absolute magnitude of a 30 cm diameter debris, at 36000 km and with an albedo of 0.2.
    As a reference, I have taken the vega V flux above the atmosfere, 8.8E5 phot/cm2/s.
    If I start taking into account the photon flux from 470 to 700 nm, and I consider a Lambertian surface with a phase angle of 0 for simplicity, I can find the reflected flux of photons, phot/cm2/s. Nevertheless, this flux is independent from the dimension of the debris, but it depends only on the phase angle and the albedo of the debris. When I try to consider the dimension of the object, and multiply the photon flux with the surface of the debris, I find the number of the reflected photons, express in phot/s. How can I relate this number to the absolute magnitude?
    Thank you a lot

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted