Magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point?

In summary, a uniform horizontal rod of mass 2.7 kg and length 2.4 m is free to pivot about one end. The moment of inertia of the rod about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the center of mass is given by I=ml^2/12. If a 4 N force at an angle of 64 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod, what is the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration about the pivot point? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. After accounting for the force of gravity, the net torque on the rod is 8.628 Nm. Using Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion, we can find the angular acceleration to
tsnikpoh11
[SOLVED] Magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point?

Homework Statement

A uniform horizontal rod of mass 2.7 kg and length 2.4 m is free to pivot about one end as shown. The moment of inertia of the rod about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the center of mass is given by I=ml^2/12

If 4 N force at an angle of 64 degrees to the horizontal acts on the rod as shown, what is the magnitude of the resulting angular acceleration about the pivot point? The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m/s^2 : Answer in units of rad/s^2

Homework Equations

I=(2.7*(2.4)^2)/12

F=4N=2.7*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I=(2.7*(2.4)^2)/12=1.296

F=4N=2.7*a

How do I figure out the magnitude of a? or [tex]\alpha[/tex]?

I just can't understand how to relate the F and the I, I would think the magnitue of a was sin(64).

Attachments

• AngularAcceleration.doc
    49 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
tsnikpoh11 said:
I=(2.7*(2.4)^2)/12
That's the moment of inertia through the center of the rod; what you need is the moment of inertia about the pivot point.
F=4N=2.7*a
That would be true if 4N were the net force acting on the rod, but it's not. For this problem, what you need to find is the torque that this force produces.

Find the net torque on the rod about the pivot point. I assume you need to take into account the force of gravity acting on the rod as well as the applied force.

Then you can use Newton's 2nd law for rotation to find the angular acceleration.

So Net torque would = 2.4 *4(sin64)=8.628? or the net force is 9.81 down - 8.832 up? = -.968 Net force?

How do I account for gravity?

So the moment of Inertia would be (ML^2)/3 which is I=(2.7*(2.4)^2)/3 = 5.184, but how does it work into Newtons second law, and how does it help me solve angular acceleration?

tsnikpoh11 said:
So Net torque would = 2.4 *4(sin64)=8.628?
That's the counter-clockwise torque due to the 4 N force. But is that the only force acting on the rod?
or the net force is 9.81 down - 8.832 up? = -.968 Net force?
:confused:
How do I account for gravity?
What's the weight of the rod? Where does it act?

So the moment of Inertia would be (ML^2)/3 which is I=(2.7*(2.4)^2)/3 = 5.184, but how does it work into Newtons second law, and how does it help me solve angular acceleration?
Newton's 2nd law for rotational motion:

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

Ohhhhh, ok so its 8.628+-gravity/5.184 ? t/I? Would the force down due to gravity be mg(l/2)= force of gravity? if so do I subtract that from the 8.628 force up? so the force of gravity is 31.704 and the torque up is 8.628? Then would I have to convert that answer to radians?

tsnikpoh11 said:
Ohhhhh, ok so its 8.628+-gravity/5.184 ? t/I?
Right.
Would the force down due to gravity be mg(l/2)= force of gravity?
That will be the clockwise torque due to gravity.
if so do I subtract that from the 8.628 force up? so the force of gravity is 31.704 and the torque up is 8.628?
You would subtract the clockwise torque from the counter-clockwise torque.
Then would I have to convert that answer to radians?
Since you are using standard units (kg, N, m), the angular acceleration will be in rad/s^2. No need to convert.

Awesome! Thank you so much.

What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point?

The magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point is the rate of change of the angular velocity of an object as it rotates around the pivot point. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

How is the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point calculated?

The magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point can be calculated using the formula α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What factors affect the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point?

The magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point is affected by the torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distance of the object from the pivot point. The larger the torque or moment of inertia, the greater the angular acceleration will be. Additionally, the farther the object is from the pivot point, the greater the angular acceleration will be.

How does the direction of the angular acceleration affect the motion of the object?

The direction of the angular acceleration determines the direction of the change in the object's angular velocity. If the angular acceleration is in the same direction as the angular velocity, the object will speed up its rotation. If the angular acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down its rotation.

Can the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the angular acceleration about the pivot point can be negative. This indicates that the object's angular velocity is decreasing over time, which could result in the object slowing down or even stopping its rotation.