Calculate Earth's Angular Momentum in Solar Orbit

In summary, the homework statement is that the Earth has a circular orbit around the sun and that its average linear speed is ω*r (radius of orbit which is 1AU or 1.49*1011). I calculated the Earth's inertia and found that it has a mass of 2.67*1040 kg*m2/s.
MissEuropa

Homework Statement

A)Calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum of the Earth in a circular orbit around the sun.

B) Is it reasonable to model it as a particle?
Yes, considering the size of the Earth in comparison of its orbit around the sun it is reasonable to model it is a particle.

Homework Equations

L = I*ω (when considering the Earth as a rigid body)
L=r*p
I=mE*rE

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the Earth has a completely circular orbit:
The Earth's orbit is 2∏ radians, it completes this orbit in one year.
1 year = 3.145*107 s
2∏/3.156*107 = 1.99*10-7rad/s
Average linear speed = ω*r (radius of orbit which is 1AU or 1.49*1011
(1.99*107)*(1.49*1011)=2.977*1018m/s

So, using the formula L=r x p
(1.49*1011)*(2.977*1018)*sin90°=4.45*1029m^2/s

But, this was not the answer masteringphysics was looking for.

So, using the formula L=Iω
I calculated I (mass of the Earth*radius) = (3.81*1031)*(1.99*10-7) = 7.58*1024 kg*m2/s

And that's also not the answer masteringphysics was looking for.
I'm not sure if I made a mistake somewhere in my calculations or if I'm not using the right values for mass, radius of Earth etc. Because Earth's orbit is non circular I'm not sure at what point in Earth's orbit they wanted us to consider as the radius. I choose one AU because it's an averaged value.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
MissEuropa said:
Always check your answers for sanity. What is the speed of light? This number is obviously wrong. In fact, it is exactly 14 orders of magnitude wrong. That should give you a hint.

Last edited:
MissEuropa said:
Assuming the Earth has a completely circular orbit:
The Earth's orbit is 2∏ radians, it completes this orbit in one year.
1 year = 3.145*107 s
2∏/3.156*107 = 1.99*10-7rad/s

So, using the formula L=r x p
(1.49*1011)*(2.977*1018)*sin90°=4.45*1029m^2/s
Momentum has units of mass*velocity or mass*length/time. Angular momentum has units of mass*length2/time. Where's the mass in your answer?

D H said:
Momentum has units of mass*velocity or mass*length/time. Angular momentum has units of mass*length2/time. Where's the mass in your answer?

Just caught that. I'm reworking now and I'll update soon. :-) thanks for the help

giustra199 said:
Congrats!http://www.infoocean.info/avatar1.jpg

Thankies!
So, I started from the beginning again, as not to confuse myself. Calculated the inertia of the Earth (which is why I was missing a mass component in my final answer) and got it right.

Symbolic math is the way to go for the most part, then plugging in numbers afterward.
I ended up with 2.67*1040 kg*m2/s

Thanks for the help again.

Last edited by a moderator:
MissEuropa said:
Symbolic math is the way to go for the most part, then plugging in numbers afterward.
Absolutely. Most students never seem to learn that.

1. What is Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit?

Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit refers to the measure of the rotational motion of Earth as it orbits around the Sun. It is a product of Earth's mass, distance from the Sun, and its orbital velocity.

2. How is Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit calculated?

Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit can be calculated by multiplying Earth's mass by its orbital velocity and its distance from the Sun. The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit?

The unit of measurement for Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit is kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m²/s). This is a unit of momentum and measures how much mass is moving and how fast it is moving in a circular motion.

4. How does Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit affect its orbit around the Sun?

Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit is constant, meaning it stays the same throughout its orbit. This affects Earth's orbit by maintaining its rotational motion and keeping it in a stable orbit around the Sun. Any changes in Earth's angular momentum can cause changes in its orbit.

5. Can Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit be changed?

Yes, Earth's angular momentum in solar orbit can be changed by altering its mass, velocity, or distance from the Sun. For example, if Earth's mass increases or decreases, its angular momentum will also change. Additionally, if Earth's orbital velocity or distance from the Sun changes, its angular momentum will also be affected.