Magnitude of the average acceleration

In summary, a 49.0-g Super Ball traveling at 27.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 19.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event and the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.00365 s. To find the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval, we can use the formula (v2-v1/t2-t1). It is important to take note of the signs on the velocity terms when calculating acceleration.
swan777
A 49.0-g Super Ball traveling at 27.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 19.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.65 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

I converted 3.65 ms to 0.00365 s and I know I need to use (v2-v1/t2-t1) but everytime I try to figure this problem out I am getting lost and coming up with the wrong answer somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I figured it out :)

What is the magnitude of the average acceleration?

The magnitude of the average acceleration refers to the size or magnitude of the average acceleration vector. It is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over a given period of time.

How is the magnitude of the average acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of the average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be written as a = Δv/Δt, where a is the average acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

The average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while the instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration gives a more detailed view.

How is the magnitude of the average acceleration related to the object's motion?

The magnitude of the average acceleration is directly related to the object's motion. A higher magnitude of acceleration means that the object is changing its velocity at a faster rate, while a lower magnitude indicates a slower change in velocity.

Can the magnitude of the average acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the average acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or changing direction, as acceleration is a vector quantity and can have both positive and negative values.