1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of the force

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    A car that weighs 1.5×104 N is initially moving at a speed of 45 km/h when the brakes are applied and the car is brought to a stop in 12 m. Assuming that the force that stops the car is constant, find the magnitude of that force.

I found the mass to be 1.53e3 kg then I figured now I need to find the acceleration using the information that I have so I used the equation
    Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(Xf-Xi)
    Vi = 12.5 m/s
    Vf = 0 m/s
    Xf = 12m
    Xi= 0 m

Then plug the acceleration value into the equation F= ma but apparently that's wrong. Is this the correct method?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Method is ok. [itex]a = \Delta v/\Delta t \text{ where } \Delta t = 2d/v_i[/itex] Since final velocity is 0, you have: a = v^2/2d

You are in effect using energy: [itex]KE = F*d = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] which is a little more direct:

[tex]F = mv^2/2d[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?