1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of the net force

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    A 3.40 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 4.85t2 - 1.05 and y = 3.25t3 + 2.10, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.10 seconds.

I dont know if im supposed to plug in 2.10 for t at the begining because i got a relativly different answer when i tried that

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

To find the force on the mass, first of all you have to find the acceleration of the mass.
    Find ax = d^2x/dt^2 and ay = d^2y/dt^2 at given time t. Find net acceleration and then the net force.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    So i find the derrivative of the x and y then plug in t=2.10?

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. Find the derivative twice to get the acceleration.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5
    i see thanks

7. Oct 8, 2009 #6
    After that i take the sum of the accelerations at 2.10 multiplied by the mass 3.40?

8. Oct 8, 2009 #7

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

To find the net acceleration you have to find the vector sum of ax and ay.

9. Oct 8, 2009 #8
    i found that to be 9.7+ 40.95=50.65. do i take 50.65 multiplied by 3.40kg's to get the answer of the net force in newtons?

10. Oct 8, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

ax and ay are perpendicular to each other. You can't add then directly to get the resultant acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook