What is the magnitude of the net force on a 3.40kg mass at t = 2.10 seconds?

In summary, to find the magnitude of the net force acting on a 3.40 kilogram mass moving in a plane at t = 2.10 seconds, we first need to find the acceleration of the mass. This can be done by finding the second derivative of the x and y coordinates at t = 2.10 seconds. We then need to find the vector sum of the x and y accelerations to get the net acceleration, which is found to be 50.65 m/s^2. Finally, we can calculate the net force by multiplying the net acceleration by the mass of the object, resulting in a magnitude of 172.21 Newtons.
Chuck 86
A 3.40 kilogram mass is moving in a plane, with its x and y coordinates given by x = 4.85t2 - 1.05 and y = 3.25t3 + 2.10, where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Calculate the magnitude of the net force acting on this mass at t = 2.10 seconds.

I don't know if I am supposed to plug in 2.10 for t at the beginning because i got a relativly different answer when i tried that

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the force on the mass, first of all you have to find the acceleration of the mass.
Find ax = d^2x/dt^2 and ay = d^2y/dt^2 at given time t. Find net acceleration and then the net force.

So i find the derrivative of the x and y then plug in t=2.10?

Yes. Find the derivative twice to get the acceleration.

i see thanks

After that i take the sum of the accelerations at 2.10 multiplied by the mass 3.40?

Chuck 86 said:
After that i take the sum of the accelerations at 2.10 multiplied by the mass 3.40?
To find the net acceleration you have to find the vector sum of ax and ay.

i found that to be 9.7+ 40.95=50.65. do i take 50.65 multiplied by 3.40kg's to get the answer of the net force in Newtons?

Chuck 86 said:
i found that to be 9.7+ 40.95=50.65. do i take 50.65 multiplied by 3.40kg's to get the answer of the net force in Newtons?
ax and ay are perpendicular to each other. You can't add then directly to get the resultant acceleration.

What is the magnitude of the net force?

The magnitude of the net force is the overall strength or size of the combined forces acting on an object. It is expressed in units of Newtons (N).

How is the magnitude of the net force calculated?

The magnitude of the net force is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where the direction and magnitude of each force is taken into account.

Can the magnitude of the net force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the net force can be negative. This means that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force with a smaller magnitude than either individual force.

What does a large magnitude of net force indicate?

A large magnitude of net force indicates that there is a strong overall force acting on an object. This could result in a significant change in the object's motion or position.

How does the magnitude of the net force affect an object's acceleration?

The magnitude of the net force is directly related to an object's acceleration. A larger net force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller net force will result in a smaller acceleration. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion.