Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Magnus force and boundary layer equations

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    First of all I am trying to find a "derivation??" for the Magnus force that affects rotating cylinders and spheres passing moving through air.

By derivation, if it is not correct, I mean a proof, something showing how the function was created.

I have found the magnus force quite easily by searching through the web and it seems to be:

fm=S(v)ω^v

As I said I need some kind of equations leading to this formula.

Also I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with solving boundary layer equations (numerically) as I have a need for doing that but am unable to.

I understand my language is not perfect and I urge you to ask if there is something that is not fully understandable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    Ok I hope someone has atleast wanted to help with this problem :)
    I found this pdf which contain a derivation of the classical magnus force but I am having a hard time understanding it, if someone familiar with advanced physics could give me layman's term rundown I'd be immensly grateful :D

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4
    I will go through it this evening but I am just wondering if the two derivations are the same?

How come radius isn't important?

And what's the difference if it's a sphere or a cylinder?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook