1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnus force and boundary layer equations

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    First of all I am trying to find a "derivation??" for the Magnus force that affects rotating cylinders and spheres passing moving through air.

By derivation, if it is not correct, I mean a proof, something showing how the function was created.

I have found the magnus force quite easily by searching through the web and it seems to be:

fm=S(v)ω^v

As I said I need some kind of equations leading to this formula.

Also I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with solving boundary layer equations (numerically) as I have a need for doing that but am unable to.

I understand my language is not perfect and I urge you to ask if there is something that is not fully understandable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2
    Ok I hope someone has atleast wanted to help with this problem :)
    I found this pdf which contain a derivation of the classical magnus force but I am having a hard time understanding it, if someone familiar with advanced physics could give me layman's term rundown I'd be immensly grateful :D

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4
    I will go through it this evening but I am just wondering if the two derivations are the same?

How come radius isn't important?

And what's the difference if it's a sphere or a cylinder?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?