Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mahematics for general relativiy?

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    mahematics for general relativiy??

hai iam bhanukiran i am very much interested in general relativity.now i am want to master the subject.can you please give me detailed information about the branch of mathematics that i must master.
    please be detail.how advanced it may be give compleate information. thanks for reading my post.. :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Traditionally general relativity was developed using Riemannian Geometry and Tensor Analysis. Later an alternative formulation in terms of Differential Forms was developed; differential forms and tensor analysis are different approaches to decribing the same thing. In even more recent times yet more mathematics has been applied: Lie Groups and Lie Algebras and Bundles and Connections.

All of these subjects have textbooks about them, and there are some introductory tutorials online. A typical introduction to general relativity will confine itself to tensors and/or forms, but to read the current research papers you need the rest as well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?