Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maher Arar - is Ridge beyond the law?

1. Dec 6, 2003 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Canadian citizen detained at JFK airport, deported to Syria where he was tortured. US Minister Ridge said "intelligence from foreign countries raised terrorist suspicions about Arar, who never was charged. Arar denies any terrorist links."

Suppose Maher's innocent, in every sense of the word, and Ridge screwed up; should he personally accept responsibility for his actions?

Suppose he's guilty, in the sense that he had terrorist links, what justification is there for Maher (a Canadian citizen remember) being deported to Syria, a country Ridge's boss is on record as saying tortures its citizens (and others, apparently) and sponsors terrorism?

I can imagine Maher was terrified, and the source of his terror is the action of Minister Ridge; does it follow that the US state sponsors terror?

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/centredaily/news/7183151.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2003 #2

kat

Well, I think there's still much on the Canadian end that needs to be cleared up about this. As for as I know the RCMP to report to the Commission has not been completed, and will not be public?
    Also, did he not have duel citizenship? and as a citizen who was wanted for avoiding military service would it not be normal to return him to the country he still held citizenship in? I know people who did the same thing in regards to Lebanon who were returned to Lebanon...
    At any rate, before we hang Ridge, I think there are a lot more questions to be answered from both the U.S. and the Canadian government.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?