Which Engineering Major Is Best for a Career in Thermal Energy?

In summary, the individual is seeking suggestions for an engineering degree that would be suitable for a career in thermal energy and external combustion systems. They have completed all required math, chemistry, physics, and computer science courses at the University of Washington and are considering electrical or chemical engineering. Based on their interests, mechanical engineering appears to be the most fitting option.
wiggly
Hello,
My apologies for making my first post a question but I was wondering if anyone could suggest an engineering degree which would be most suitable for a career with energy, specifically thermal energy and external combustion systems. I was technically a junior and had to take an session off because I did not declare my major.
Apart from the typical 2-3 discipline specific engineering courses, I have completed all math, chemistry, physics, and computer science courses required for every engineering program offered at my school (University of Washington - Seattle). Specifically, I've been leaning towards electrical or chemical engineering and am open to minor suggestions. I look forward to your opinions and thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical seems like the best-fit major for your interests.

1. What is a major in thermal energy?

A major in thermal energy is a concentration within the field of engineering that focuses on the production, transfer, and utilization of thermal energy. This includes studying topics such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and energy systems.

2. What kind of courses will I take in a thermal energy major?

Some common courses in a thermal energy major may include thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, energy systems, and renewable energy technologies. Students may also take courses in areas such as materials science, environmental science, and mathematics.

3. What career opportunities are available with a thermal energy major?

Graduates with a major in thermal energy can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as power generation, renewable energy, manufacturing, and consulting. They may work as engineers, researchers, project managers, or consultants in roles related to energy production, distribution, or efficiency.

4. What skills will I develop with a major in thermal energy?

In addition to technical knowledge in areas such as thermodynamics and heat transfer, a major in thermal energy can help develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and project management. Students may also gain skills in design, communication, and teamwork through hands-on projects and laboratory work.

5. Is a thermal energy major a good choice for students interested in renewable energy?

Yes, a thermal energy major can be a good choice for students interested in renewable energy. This field of study often includes courses and research opportunities focused on renewable energy technologies, such as solar, wind, and geothermal energy. Graduates can use their knowledge and skills to contribute to the development and implementation of sustainable energy solutions.